Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: WC Downhill

WC Downhill

Hi!

My first post

I am kinda new to digital photography if I don't count a small CDC I've been using once per year on my holiday :P.
    So, for the start, I bought a Panasonic DMC-FZ50 because I think it's a very good camera for beginners. After reading some Tutorials on your page I decided I will try to experiment a bit with a F and Exposure.

I did some makeover in Photoshop with Auto Levels-Contrast-Colors and DeNoise (FZ50 has a very weird noise in ISO higher than 400).

F: 8.0, Exposure: 1/20, ISO800

WC Downhill

Administrator
    Real Name
    Sean

Re: WC Downhill

Hi TARI, welcome to the forums and thanks for the photo post! Very neat effect. Was a flash used? I say this because the motion blur does not look even throughout the blur distance. If I were to guess, I would say that you used "front curtain synch" flash, since it seems like the flash went off at the very start of the exposure (as opposed to "rear curtain synch", were it would go off at the end of the exposure).

Oh bumb, i forgot to include the Flash option in characteristics.
    No Flash in this photo. I guess the effect just came from the very strong sun shining throu the leafs

In the second photo the effect is even stronger.

F 11, Exposure time 1 sec, ISO 100, no flash

WC Downhill
    Last edited by TARI; 12th May 2008 at 06:54 PM.

Administrator
    Real Name
    Sean

I think I prefer the first photo. If you want to add a subtle trailing blur (to emphasize motion), one suggestion would be to use the "rear curtain synch" option on your camera, if available. You can then control how bright the trailing blur is relative to the flash portion by playing with the exposure time (using aperture, shutter speed and ISO). Try experimenting a little and I think you'll be surprised how many different motion blur flash effects you can achieve...

thank you!
    and ofcourse there are so many options i need to try. this is just the beginning

Real Name
    Elie

Interesting photos.

Indeed, the first photo looks similar to what you would get when using front syn flash. Kinda have a strange, but interesting dynamic effect. It looks like the biker is jumping backwards from the trails
    I am puzzled how you accomplished that without a flash!

That's a nice camera, and depending on the zoom level, you can probably still achieve a good amount of depth of filed on that smaller (relative to DSLRs) sensor with a lower f-number.

I personally would have lowered down the iso to 400 and compensated with a smaller f-number (larger aperture) to maintain the same shutter speed for that special effect.

Keep shooting.

Elie

Real Name
    Adrian

Like Elle's my reaction was that the effect was as if the bike was going backwards.

I much prefer No 1 to No 2.

Interesting effort, keep it up.

Adrian

mrtari as u say ur a beginner and your interest in clicking shots,that are interesting,in a special effects way is commendable...had there been more blurr, i wud have thought that is a poltergeist u captured actually in the second pic i think you really did capture one