Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Carnivorous Flies - Be afraid!

Carnivorous Flies - Be afraid!

In a recent post, I mentioned that some flies catch and consume other flies as well as sipping sweet nectar for sustenance.

Here are a couple of examples.

Robber Fly - Dioctria rufipes

Sawfly - Tenthredo mesomelas (dinner is a Dung Fly)

I'm not absolutely certain of the second identification. This family is a bit tricky unless you can fully follow the identification keys.

They are 'in the field' action shots so I know that they aren't perfect; but I though these snaps demonstrated 'real nature'.
    Last edited by Geoff F; 20th May 2011 at 06:17 PM. Reason: photo added

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: Carnivorous Flies - Be afraid!

Nicely captured, Geoff. It's hard to shoot insects doing their thing and nailing everything right. I like both images!

Real Name
    Bill S

I swear! I really want to know how you manage to find all these things. Where in the world do you live Geoff? I want to stop by for a field workshop.

- Bill

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by ktuli View Post
    I swear! I really want to know how you manage to find all these things. Where in the world do you live Geoff? I want to stop by for a field workshop.

- Bill
    I must confess I think the same thing. I'm a member over on Digital Grin forum and I'm always amazed at the diversity of insects. All I see when I go out in my well-planted and large garden is a few bees and some house-flies (shouldn't they be indoors?)

#1 is very good, Geoff.

Bill. There are a few photos of where I live, and what happens here, on my P base site

http://www.pbase.com/crustacean

It is the far south of England, near Plymouth.

Macro photography isn't actually difficult. It's identifying the little critters that is the skilled part.

Basically, I just use a Canon 40D with Sigma 180 mm macro lens. Plus a 580 Speedlite.

A good tripod, with a quick release ball head (pistol grip).

Use manual camera settings; around F14, 1/200, ISO 100 or 200. Set the flash exposure compensation to suit. TTL flash setting.

Some people set up multiple off the camera flashes or overhead flash using brackets and diffusers, etc. But I just wander around and shoot through the foliage so I find the simple direct flash mounting is the easiest to handle.

After that, and rather important, is keep your eyes open and look for suitable places where insects might congregate.

Yesterday, I actually did a 'field workshop' for a friend who wants to get more into macro photography. He has a 60D and borrowed my Canon 70-200 plus a 25 mm extension tube and one of my old tripods. The basic camera pop up flash worked reasonably well for him.

It is just a case of looking in the right places then gradually moving the tripod close enough while hiding behind the camera. Dull clothing also helps. None of it is achieved by 'magic'.

Real Name
    Bill S

Geoff,

Thanks for the pointers... I definitely need to keep trying!

And as for your settings... you might be interested in this thread I just posted and might want to adjust your preferred ISO a little.

- Bill