Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Shooting the Sun

Real Name
    Bob R

Shooting the Sun

OK, I want to photograph the sun, how safely can I do this without destroying the sensor or my eyes. Would a welders lens work?

Real Name
    2 penny for the guess..

Re: Shooting the Sun

Bob,

Have look there:
    http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/g...-directly.html

Seems that are some special filters for shooting directly to the Sun.

Leo

Real Name
    Bob R

Leo,
    Good and helpful information, thanks

Real Name
    Val Mansfield

I understand that helio astronomers prefer to photograph a projection or reflection of the sun, rather than the sun itself.

Real Name
    Bob R

There must be a reason for that, I will have to look into it.
    Thanks

What I can read about in the short period of time just now, this deals with using reflector telescopes, that is a bit out of my league, not that I would not want to, but these guys have small observatories in their back yard! I'm talking about using a 600mm and catching the image, but until I'm convinced that no harm will come to me or my camera, I'll keep searching.
    Last edited by SpiderBob; 18th May 2011 at 09:01 PM.

Real Name
    Steaphany

There are lots of astronomical aids for photographing the Sun, but remember the angular size is actually quite small, about 0.53°, so you'll need a telescope to get a reasonable magnification. Of course, since telescopes are designed to capture lots of light, for night viewing, you'll need a good Solar observing filter or better yet, a telescope design specifically for Solar observing.

Meade Instruments produces the Coronado line of Solar Telescopes designed specifically for Solar.

The filter option would be to use a telephoto Lens or Telescope equipped with a Solar filter such as these available from Orion Full-Aperture Glass Telescope Solar Filters.

Remember, the Sun produces a lot of energy in spectra that we can not see. Just because a filter looks dark to black to our vision, doesn't mean that it would bring infrared and ultraviolet down to safe levels.

Real Name
    mike crowley

You would be best advised to make enquiries at a local astronomy club/society. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO LOOK AT THE SUN WITH THE UNAIDED EYE. you could end up being blinded. The club may let you use one of their telescopes, you can but ask.

Real Name
    Bob R

Excellent advice. I have a call into a couple of clubs, including the observatory, waiting to hear back from one of them.