Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Fruit Stall

Real Name
    Phil Page

Fruit Stall

This is a shot that didn't make the cut from a walkabout a few months ago, but I revisited it tonight to try to process and do it some justice. C&C more than welcome.

D700 + Carl Zeiss 2/35 Distagon @ f3.5, 1/100th, ISO560

Fruit Stall

Real Name
    John

Re: Fruit Stall

Very nice, I see this type of setup in so many places. You could never get away with dim lighting in the U.S. like they use in these types of markets, well actually you could but the FDA would probably frown upon it.

The only slight concern with me, Phil, is that the man on the left is looking downwards. If he had been looking slightly towards the stall it would be an excellent shot.

Perfectly acceptable as it is though.

Real Name
    Kevin

Yeah, I think if he had been 1 or 2 steps closer, his head would likely be up and you could have framed/cropped outthe bags and lights on the left. Still a nice shot though.

Real Name
    Miltos

My suggestion would be to totally remove the gentleman on the left and the left part of the image to focus on the fine texture and tonalities of all those fruits. The two parts don't fit together for me Phil but the right part is more than an interesting frame.

Real Name
    Andrew

I like Miltos' idea, and think it would work well.

Out of curiosity though, were you looking for any specific criticism, Phil?

Real Name
    Alfred Forns

This can work either way, with or without the gentleman. It is a strong image with good tonal range and impact

Real Name
    Phil Page

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Honestly, I've overlooked processing this shot several times but finally went for it. When I come back from a walk I have 'keepers' which I know will work and look good on the LCD, then I have the 'maybes' and finally a lot of 'remote possibilities'. This one falls into the latter category!

It's just the way the mop flops - some days you interact with people and get willing subjects for environmental portraits and then when you try to step back and get into a more candid style of shooting you try to force a scene to work because nothing clicks that day. In this case I didn't think it really worked but still had some interest.

I wanted to show the stall in context, as in how it is built into the building itself, so that's why I chose this composition combined with the light down the walkway.

It is always good to hear alternative views on differing crops etc though.

As for the walking man, he didn't look up at all when he walked through the scene.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Phil,

If mine I'd give it a slight rotation and check perspective against a grid.

Also; I might be tempted to try a 'crop off' of the brighter distant parts on the left, even though it puts the walking man closer to the edge of frame - however, if I didn't feel that worked, I think what you have is good.

Cheers,