Thread: Night Couple

Real Name
    Matthis

Night Couple

Hey guys,

I am a great fan of b/w pictures because you can focus on the very important parts. Sadly there are so many b/w shots out there and a lot of (facebook) photographers are just doing b/w without thinking about HOW!

I have this picture and I was thinking doing it in b/w but I have no clue, how I can apply the focus in the best way... I would like to state out the combination of the two guys and it would be great if I could catch the night scene and the great calm light.

What would be your idea?

Cheers

Matthis

Night Couple

Real Name
    Mark

Re: Night Couple

Hi matthis,

How about you convert it and post it for C&C and we will try and help you improve on it or add a different perspective. do you have the software to do this? id certainly crop out the front of the car on the left though.

Somehow, Matthis, I suspect this shot would be a good subject for the processing challenge competition.

There are so many over exposed areas that lack any detail.

Cropping, as Mark suggested, or even tighter to concentrate on the right side man would be easiest. However if you want to keep it as a night street scene, I have left the size as original and done a quick edit as B&W. But I'm not totally happy with the result.

Night Couple

I cloned some colour and texture over the hotspots then converted to monochrome and selectively sharpened and brightened as required. Then used a blur brush to improve the 'noisy areas'.

It still isn't quite correct where I tried to add texture. But it will give an indication of what might work.
    Last edited by Geoff F; 24th October 2012 at 08:53 PM. Reason: photo re edit

Real Name
    Anne

Hi Matthis, I hope you dont mind, but I did some work on your nice photo to see what I could do. I took away most of the yellow colour cast with colour balance, slightly moved levels, converted it to greyscale, darkened it very slightly with curves, reduced the size of the car coming into the picture and changed the position of main man by re-scaling slightly, added a bit of detail in his hair by using screen tool. Finally I sharpened the image, but I did leave the night lights in. All done in photo-shop. Not sure if you will like what you see

Night Couple

Real Name
    Mark

Nice job Anne, id still loose the rest of the car and go for a square crop though

Real Name
    Anne

Quote Originally Posted by Mark von Kanel View Post
    Nice job Anne, id still loose the rest of the car and go for a square crop though
    Thanks Mark.