Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: The Wheel

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

The Wheel

London has the Eye, Singapore has a wheel, Melbourne had one that lasted a couple of days before it started falling down , and good ole Brissie has one too. And I'm sure there are plenty more around the world !

This one is located on the South Bank of the river and next to it is the Performing Arts centre (purple lighting). If you look closely, you'll see that Mary Poppins is playing

The Wheel
    Last edited by dje; 1st March 2012 at 01:28 AM.

Real Name
    Natalie

Re: The Wheel

Love this image. One thing that strikes me is the sharpness. Someday I will achieve this....Good work.

Real Name
    John

Nice image.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Thanks for your comments Nat and John. Nat I think the key factors in getting an image nice and sharp under these conditions are

Manual focus (using enlarged Live View mode)
    Reasonably large Depth of Field by choosing a relatively small aperture (f/11 in this case)
    Judicious sharpening in pp
    Steady tripod and remote shutter release

Dave

Real Name
    Natalie

I have not tried using the live view mode. They say you won't have a mirror shake....and I do have a nice remote shutter release, use it for birds, mostly. Will have to try your advice. thanks!

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    I have not tried using the live view mode. They say you won't have a mirror shake....and I do have a nice remote shutter release, use it for birds, mostly. Will have to try your advice. thanks!
    Nat the reason I use Live view mode for manual focus is that you can focus more accurately than through the viewfinder because of the ability to zoom in with Live View. The avoidance of mirror shake is a bonus but really not that relevant for shutter speeds of 10-30 secs because the rate of light capture on the sensor is quite small under these circumstances and the mirror shake only lasts for a very small time relative to the shutter open time.

Dave

Real Name
    JimC

Nice Job Dave loved the night color, however the dark patch of trees on the right took my focus off the wheel and that wonderful blue building. maybe its just me Im really new to this media. Keep up the good work dave

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by Kaclarity View Post
    Nice Job Dave loved the night color, however the dark patch of trees on the right took my focus off the wheel and that wonderful blue building. maybe its just me Im really new to this media. Keep up the good work dave
    Thanks Jim. I think you have a valid point with the dark crop of trees. I'll see what I can do in PS to lighten that area up.

Dave

Real Name
    JimC

Thanks Dave
    Im never sure Im seeing things right : ))) I did find your focus so clear like Nat said Im going to try your sugestions to Nat, for my night shots hope to see more of your work Dave JimC

PS shoot me a link when you finish PS love to see what you come up with
    Last edited by Kaclarity; 1st March 2012 at 12:29 AM. Reason: PC

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Thanks Dave
    Im never sure Im seeing things right : ))) I did find your focus so clear like Nat said Im going to try your sugestions to Nat, for my night shots hope to see more of your work Dave JimC

PS shoot me a link when you finish PS love to see what you come up with
    Jim this is about as bright as I can make the trees. The shot would have been better taken about 10 mins earlier when there was more residual light in the sky (not long after sunset). However I was taking another shot at that time !

Dave

The Wheel

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Dave,

Yes, I think that has lifted the trees sufficiently - they're not the 'black hole' they were.

I do wonder about the benefit of the extreme left with the extra crane, I'd be tempted to take 10-15% off the left, getting the wheel nearer the LH third.

Nice capture though,

Real Name
    JimC

Dave
    Wow Even the extra light makes a differance to me. Would have loved to have seen the effects earlier. Got love those Night colors Dave. I was also looking on your picture site, your city nights are wonderful. Stay Focused Bro : ))))) JimC

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Stay Focused Bro : )))))
    Very droll Jim Thanks for the compliment.

Dave here is the crop you suggested - I think it's much better.

Dave

The Wheel