Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Lomo Effect

Lomo Effect

I used a Nikon D50 for this shot, then I two years later I played with in Gimp looking for an alternative way to do HDR. I came up with the Lomo Effect . Please let me know what you think:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by wings4me; 22nd February 2009 at 04:26 PM.

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

Re: Lomo Effect

Very nice. Reminds me of summers when I was a kid.

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Nice image...lots of good color and well framed but I'm not seeing it as HDR. Perhaps I could if the image was larger. Could you explain the "lomo effect," I'm not aware of it.

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by CNelson View Post
    Nice image...lots of good color and well framed but I'm not seeing it as HDR. Perhaps I could if the image was larger. Could you explain the "lomo effect," I'm not aware of it.

Chuck
    Hi Chuck
    here is the definition of Lomo:
    Lomography emphasizes casual, snapshot photography. Characteristics such as over-saturated colors, off-kilter exposure, blurring, "happy accidents," and alternative film processing are often considered part of the "Lomographic Technique.
    Typically, Lomo owners will take color slide film (E6) and have it processed as standard 35mm film (C41). This results in over saturation of colors and at times some freaky results. All of which make Lomo as special as they are.

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Quote Originally Posted by wings4me View Post
    Hi Chuck
    here is the definition of Lomo:
    Lomography emphasizes casual, snapshot photography. Characteristics such as over-saturated colors, off-kilter exposure, blurring, "happy accidents," and alternative film processing are often considered part of the "Lomographic Technique.
    Typically, Lomo owners will take color slide film (E6) and have it processed as standard 35mm film (C41). This results in over saturation of colors and at times some freaky results. All of which make Lomo as special as they are.
    Thank you Wings. I had never run into the term before. I should have just Googled it but I thought it might have been a made up term for something you were doing. It appears that much of what was 35mm Lomography is acomplished with SLR's and post processing today. You image qualifies as a Lomo style but it's better than most, at least as I see it.....certainly no happy accident.

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by CNelson View Post
    Thank you Wings. I had never run into the term before. I should have just Googled it but I thought it might have been a made up term for something you were doing. It appears that much of what was 35mm Lomography is acomplished with SLR's and post processing today. You image qualifies as a Lomo style but it's better than most, at least as I see it.....certainly no happy accident.

Chuck
    Thanks Chuck, very nice compliment

I like the way the over saturated look is still kind of real too. So many over saturated images look fake or very surreal (I still like that though) but this still has a natural look despit such high vibrant colours. I love the water btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey View Post
    I like the way the over saturated look is still kind of real too. So many over saturated images look fake or very surreal (I still like that though) but this still has a natural look despit such high vibrant colours. I love the water btw.
    Me too, I was in search of a vivid look with out looking unreal. I do tweak the Lomo effect to achieve this look.