Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Rhinos

Real Name
    Lennart Elg

Rhinos

rhinos_700.jpg

A pair of rhinos (mother and calf) having a quiet early morning breakfast in the Pilanesberg National Park, South Africa.

Shot with my backup Canon s95, as they were too close for the big gun on my DSLR..
    Low light pushed ISO to 800, which shows in a bit of noise.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Rhinos

Hello. I don't think I've had the chance to welcome you onto CiC. I hope you're enjoying it and finding that it a useful resource to help your learning and development in photography.

You've maybe seen that most of us tend to use our real names on here. It makes communication more friendly and CiC is that sort of site. Did you know you can go to Edit Profile and enter your proper name under 'Real Name'. Then it will appear underneath your Username in all your posts.

To your image - How wonderful to have the chance to get that. I think it maybe would be stronger if we could see the heads of the animals. We can see that of the youngster, bit it is not very clear. Also I think the background is a bit cluttered and distracting - we have the large bush and the tree trunk and then the background hill and, as well, the sky.

Obviously a difficult shot to get. I'm sure this is why we hear about wildlife photographers weeks and months working on specific projects.

Real Name
    Lennart Elg

Re: Rhinos

Have updated my profile. With regard to composition, what I liked about this photo is the tight grouping of the animals.

The photo was taken from an excursion vehicle with ten passengers jostling for position. If I ever get a chance to come back, I would definitely hire a private vehicle and guide for at least one day, to make the most of all the photo opportunities.