Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Lightning

Real Name
    farhan

Lightning

Difficult to capture such a picture in thethe atmosphere rainstorm .. so it was binding me to take it from inside the house
    You can see the electricity wires and it was very frustrating for me.

Lightning

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Lightning

farhan

Very spectacular. As you say, the presence of the electricity wires is frustrating.

Real Name
    Chris

Stop the lens down and shoot on a manual setting, bulb open (mirror raised). A lightning bolt is significantly brighter than the sun, so try to imagine you are shooting directly into the sun. In this lightning situation, combined with all the other outdoor lights, you need less aperture than you might think. I would start at f/16 and do incremental shots up to as far down as the lens will go - 22 32 45. (Stopping down is a term used when you are making the aperture smaller. As per depth of field, it increases the depth each time you move from a smaller to a larger number. Stopping down also requires increased compensation in another area, and most often, that area is time.)

I was just thinking to myself, I haven't shot lightning digitally yet and am using film settings. However, I think they should stay relatively the same

Real Name
    farhan

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    farhan

Very spectacular. As you say, the presence of the electricity wires is frustrating.
    Donald
    thanks for being her

Real Name
    farhan

Quote Originally Posted by MiniChris View Post
    Stop the lens down and shoot on a manual setting, bulb open (mirror raised). A lightning bolt is significantly brighter than the sun, so try to imagine you are shooting directly into the sun. In this lightning situation, combined with all the other outdoor lights, you need less aperture than you might think. I would start at f/16 and do incremental shots up to as far down as the lens will go - 22 32 45. (Stopping down is a term used when you are making the aperture smaller. As per depth of field, it increases the depth each time you move from a smaller to a larger number. Stopping down also requires increased compensation in another area, and most often, that area is time.)

I was just thinking to myself, I haven't shot lightning digitally yet and am using film settings. However, I think they should stay relatively the same
    Thank you for advice and information

Real Name
    John

The wires just add to the realism of the shot, if they were not there this would almost look like a special effects shot.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Farhan,

The shot would be improved by 3 things;
    Level it (so buildings and light poles stand vertical)
    Don't have the logo
    Clone out the lower set of wires - I can live with one set, but the lower ones really don't contribute, unfortunately of course, they are a lot more difficult (against the scene) than the higher set (against the sky) to remove

Easy for me to say in hindsight and looking at it now, but it is rather over exposed, but three strikes in one capture is awesome

I can't see any EXIF data, I'd like to know what settings you used?

Thanks for posting, oh, and welcome to the CiC forums from ....
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 17th May 2011 at 06:14 AM. Reason: correct typo

Real Name
    Al

I couldn't resist a quick shot at some adjustments. Basically straightening, removing the wires, burning, some multiply layers, and color balance. I hope you don't mind, Farhan.

Lightning

Quote Originally Posted by farhan al shammeri View Post
    Difficult to capture such a picture in thethe atmosphere rainstorm .. so it was binding me to take it from inside the house
    You can see the electricity wires and it was very frustrating for me.

Lightning

This wonderful photograph.. over exposed
    I have tried to correct it without removing the wires in front
    my corrected version HERE

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

Quote Originally Posted by farhan al shammeri View Post
    Donald
    thanks for being her
    Donald, You are multi-talented, for sure