Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Need Bug ID

Real Name
    Wendy

Need Bug ID

I found this burrowed in the ground in my garden while digging up some weeds. Sorry about the bad shot, I never do well when I'm rushed and I had to run in the house, get the camera, change lenses and then find this guy again.

It is approx. 2.5 - 3cm long. The colours are so pretty, but I'm wondering what kind of destruction it might wreak in the garden. I let this one dig himself back in but where there is one there are probably more. Is this one a friend or foe in the garden.

Need Bug ID

Wendy

Real Name
    Abhi

Re: Need Bug ID

Wendy,

It seems to be a green six spotted tiger beetle (Yay!, for google image search). Here's a link I found with some photos and info

http://www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ec...ger_beetle.htm

Oh! apparently they live alone

Real Name
    Wendy

hey that was quick, Thanks Abhi. I will have to look up how to search images with google, didn't know you could do that. . Thanks again

Wendy

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

This forum never ceases to amaze me for the extent and diversity of the knowledge we amass. Thanks to both of the above for that.

I never do well when I'm rushed and I had to run in the house, get the camera, change lenses ....
    But you couldn't have done that when you first started out on this photographic journey!

Real Name
    Abhi

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutR View Post
    hey that was quick, Thanks Abhi. I will have to look up how to search images with google, didn't know you could do that. . Thanks again

Wendy
    Just use your creativity there as well, Wendy . It looked like a beetle to me, so I just searched for green beetle, and luckily for me this fellow had his photo on the first page under images

Real Name
    Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by abhi View Post
    Just use your creativity there as well, Wendy . It looked like a beetle to me, so I just searched for green beetle, and luckily for me this fellow had his photo on the first page under images
    Oh dear, I guess I could have done that. I thought you used the image for the search instead of words, that would be cool. Does anyone know if you can actually search by image and find out what something

Real Name
    Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    But you couldn't have done that when you first started out on this photographic journey!
    LOL, well I might have but the beetle would have had a family by the time I got back outside.