Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: And the Gentiles shall come to thy light...

rob marshall

And the Gentiles shall come to thy light...

I just like doing church windows. Dead easy and very effective. Low light doesn't matter if you have plenty of backlight through the window. Put your camera on f/4 (there's no depth to worry about). Set spot-metering and expose on the brightest part of the window, which will black out the stone surrounds and give great colour in the glass. I didn't do much post-processing for this - 5 mins.

"And the Gentiles shall come to thy light, and kings to the brightness of thy rising".

Isaiah 60:3-5 Llanstadwell church, West Wales.

And the Gentiles shall come to thy light...

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: And the Gentiles shall come to thy light...

Very good work, Rob. You could probably make a table top book highlighting all your church window images. Sounds like a good future project.

up on a knob above Paden City, West Virginia
    Real Name
    Marie Hass

Lovely. I have a lot to learn. Thanks Rob for sharing more of your stained glass windows.

Real Name
    John Wright

Now there's some inspiration. Lovely shot.I assume it's ok to go inside and set up a tripod. Whilst studying Art History my wife had insight into these stained glass windows and everything in them has a message - even the colours of the robes and clothing and the the postures along with the position of each subject - I had no idea about all this until it was pointed out to me one day,now I see them in a completely different light.The first known here in the UK were in 540AD and in the 19th. century Gothic period they were revived after their destruction in the 16th. century Reformation period when they had no time for idolatry.. like the stories in pictures that the windows portray.

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    Now there's some inspiration. Lovely shot.I assume it's ok to go inside and set up a tripod. Whilst studying Art History my wife had insight into these stained glass windows and everything in them has a message - even the colours of the robes and clothing and the the postures along with the position of each subject - I had no idea about all this until it was pointed out to me one day,now I see them in a completely different light.The first known here in the UK were in 540AD and in the 19th. century Gothic period they were revived after their destruction in the 16th. century Reformation period when they had no time for idolatry.. like the stories in pictures that the windows portray.
    John

Most churches are OK with photographers, even with tripods, but I always ask if there is anyone official there. I seem to recall that Gloucester cathedral charges for photography, as do some others. Some of the Victorian stained glass is very attractive, and I have seen some done by the Victorian pre-Raphaelite painters such as Burne-Jones.

Real Name
    John Wright

Thanks, Rob.I did hear that Gloucester charge and in other situations, as you say, good practice to ask . I've just checked and they allow photographs to be taken inside for a minimum voluntary donation of £5 ,that's if the photos aren't for commercial purposes in which case you have to contact the appropriate person there.