Real Name
    Mick Stones

Common Seal

This shot was taken early one November morning on east Lincolnshire coast

Common Seal

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: Common Seal

Great timing, Mick. How come you guys get all the great places to shoot? If you apply some selective sharpening to the seal, itself and tone down the brightness of the surrounding sea, that would make it stand out on the image. Just a suggestion. I like the shot.

Real Name
    james

great shot!

Real Name
    John Wright

That's a great shot and getting the wave like that certainly makes a difference to the usual normal head above calm waters shot - like the ones I have ..lol (taken at Mull) and to get the sunrise light too really enhances it - very good. I have a list of places I'd like to get to for the photography and your part of the world is on it - I have Donna Nook in mind. I've read up on the visitors rules so as not to disturb them when they have pups ,I think they're wonderful creatures.

Jiro.. I'm only just beginning to appreciate what we have here but I do I envy you your National parks, the photogenic storms of course,the Rockies,the Appellations the wonderful variety of landscape, fauna and wildlife.. just the sheer diversity and scale of it all too but I think people here don't appreciate just how far you have to travel to get to some of the locations you'd like to go to.I also envy you the wide open spaces - we have 62 million living on this island.. Ugh.. and getting places can sometimes (well all too often really) be a nightmare. For me to get to the seals where Mick lives I need to travel across country west > east on regular roads as 95% of our motorways (3 lanes each way like your Interstates highways) run North > South.

Oh yes, and we don't have an Amarillo Big Texan steak house with free 72oz. steaks if you can eat them in an hour either. .

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

It's all about timing!

Well done, Mick. As John says, getting the wave coming up on its head moves it up above the normal 'seal in the water' image.

Have you already cropped this? The reason I ask is that I wondered if removal of the wave breaking in the foreground would give more strength to the iamge?