Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Sunset

Real Name
    John Wright

Sunset

This was Monday's sunset over Gloucester city -the passing storm deluged us with monsoon-like rain.

Sunset

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Sunset

John

That is quite a sky. Well done to have captured it so well.

In terms of the overall impact of the image, it's always difficult to know just how much land, if any, to include in such a shot in order to give some context and scale to the image. In this one, I wonder if the there is too much. Particularly, I don't think that the large, light building in the centre helps. I'd be tempted to try a crop on the bottom just at the top of that building, leaving a much thinner strip of land at the bottom of the frame.

Real Name
    John Wright

Thanks for the advice,Donald. Here it is cropped. That white building ,now you pointed it out, does attract the eye and detracts from the overall scene. I've cropped it and felt I had to take out some top sky to balance it a little. Now I'll try this in-house Tinypic that Geoff mentioned to me in another thread. Well, that's great, none of the messing I had bringing the yellow hammer and this one in from outside the forum.. (thanks Geoff if you're checking this thread.)

Sunset

For me, John, that is now too tight to the bottom. I think I would either totally remove the land or tone down/clone over that building.

Real Name
    John Wright

Agree with that,Geoff. I think that cloning it out would be the best option. As I mentioned I had to take some sky out to help balance it,it didn't look right. Donald was right,the white building certainly needed sorting but as we see now,not by cropping. I have a 'weather' friend who thinks the Earth-sky link is important to see rather than just sky but as ever with these things as in other areas of life there's a half-way point- a compromise if you will that is often the best option.Thanks for input.