Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Nigel in Privets

Real Name
    Michael Farrand

Nigel in Privets

I am so glad the world is getting greener...

Nigel in Privets

Nigel in Privets

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Nigel in Privets

That's one very happy looking young lad

rob marshall

Michael

#1 is a very nice shot, but that large area of privet seems very bright and yellow on my monitor, and detracts from the main subject. It also seems to have underexposed Nigel. I did a quick edit, if that's OK. I reduced the yellow channel on a saturation layer (CS5), then selected Nigel and increased the exposure. Does it look much different on your monitor? I'll take the edit out, if you are not happy about it.

Nigel in Privets

Real Name
    Michael Farrand

Quote Originally Posted by rob marshall View Post
    Michael

#1 is a very nice shot, but that large area of privet seems very bright and yellow on my monitor, and detracts from the main subject. It also seems to have underexposed Nigel. I did a quick edit, if that's OK. I reduced the yellow channel on a saturation layer (CS5), then selected Nigel and increased the exposure. Does it look much different on your monitor? I'll take the edit out, if you are not happy about it.
    Thank you for the compliment and edits. I appreciate all criticism on any shot. I am my own worst critic I thought for this to be a better shot I think I could have had him a little more to the right (and a t-shirt that doesn't look at the camera!) I notice the under exposure now on Nigel. Maybe not the best work but things have been so drab lately that a sunny green day forced me to get out and shoot some pictures.

As for the underexposed portion what tool did you use to do that? I have CS5 but my experience with CS5 is more with web design than photos.

As for your view and the yellow tint... I think I have a monitor problem. Can anyone suggest any type of monitor calibration tool? I bought a cheap monitor and sometimes I find that colors may seem off and in some extreme cases I get a type of posterization. These problems are not constant all the time though. Any suggestions are appreciated.

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by KTHXBAI View Post
    As for the underexposed portion what tool did you use to do that? I have CS5 but my experience with CS5 is more with web design than photos.
    Select the marquee tool (type an M) then set eliptical tool. Draw a shape around Nigel. On the top toolbar click 'refine edge' and adjust the feather slider using a view type of 'overlay'. That will graduate the selection so you can't see the edges. Then just add an exposure layer to the shot and any changes in exposure will only be performed on the selected (and feathered) area. Flatten it when you have it right.

What probably happened with the yellow is the strong overhead sun light (you can see it on his head) bounced off the yellow/green privet and reflected the colour in his skin-tones.

Quote Originally Posted by KTHXBAI View Post

As for your view and the yellow tint... I think I have a monitor problem. Can anyone suggest any type of monitor calibration tool? I bought a cheap monitor and sometimes I find that colors may seem off and in some extreme cases I get a type of posterization. These problems are not constant all the time though. Any suggestions are appreciated.
    I'd get a monitor calibration tool. Quite a few of us here use Spyder. Have a look at this thread here... monitor calibration - I suggest you all read this. Most monitors are set far too bright. What happens is you adjust for that visually when you are editing, and all looks great. But when you come to print it will come out too dark.
    Last edited by rob marshall; 10th May 2011 at 01:08 PM.