Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Does anybody know of availability of Canon 40D CF card?

Real Name
    Arun

Does anybody know of availability of Canon 40D CF card?

Hi,
    Canon EOS 40D takes CF card.

Has there been any latest development that I should know when purchasing a CF card for my Canon EOS 40D?

I do not want to buy the most expensive CF card that does not carry extra benifits: I mean if my Canon EOS 40D cannot transfer a capture as fast as 60MB/sec then pointless in my spending on a SanDisk 8GB Extreme CF Compact Flash Cards 60MBS : http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Extr...4953260&sr=8-1

My last card was Kingston 8GB 133x compact flash [CF/8GB-S2 3.3V/5V]

I wish to know what is the fastest CF card that my Canon EOS 40D could handle?

Regards
    Last edited by snowshine; 9th May 2011 at 03:03 PM.

Real Name
    Robin

Re: Does anybody know of availability of Canon 40D CF card?

If you shoot lots of high speed, long burst sequences then pay the money and get a very fast card, if you shoot at a more sedate pace then a simple Sandisk Ultra will be fine.
    The other consideration is download times but again if you are of a patient nature the extra minute or two it will take to clear a slower speed 8GB card won't be an issue.

Real Name
    Arun

Hi black pearl,
    Quote Originally Posted by black pearl View Post
    If you shoot lots of high speed, long burst sequences then pay the money and get a very fast card, if you shoot at a more sedate pace then a simple Sandisk Ultra will be fine.
    The other consideration is download times but again if you are of a patient nature the extra minute or two it will take to clear a slower speed 8GB card won't be an issue.
    Thanks a lot for the above, However I wnat to know what is the maximum speed my Canon EOS 40D could manage in transfering/saving in the card during a burst?
    Am I correct that the SandDisk Extreme CF 60MBS is over kill in that the Camera 40D cannot handle where as a Canon 60D with video capability could benifit from the 60MBS? Would there fore not to go any above Extreme III or IV?
    What is your thoughts on the above
    Regards

Real Name
    Bill S

Arun,

Looking at the specs for the 40D, it looks like it has a burst rate of 6.5 fps and a max burst of up to 17 RAW files (ie: right around 3 seconds of continuous shooting). And if the raw files are 12MB each (rounding down from 12.4MB), you consider that 12 x 6.5 = 78MB of data generated each second, then the 60MB/s speed of the Sandisk Extreme cards doesn't seem so bad. Granted the shots fired do go to an internal buffer before going to the CF card, so that math is not necessarily real-world behavior, but the matter still remains... you need to get that amount of data off of that internal buffer before the camera can start reusing it, so it isn't necessarily inaccurate either.

However, as Robin pointed out, it depends greatly on your style of shooting and whether you care about getting/using that extra speed/burst length/etc.

- Bill

Real Name
    Steve

I use this in my 50D but I don't think it will work in a 40D.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Compact-Flas...4971056&sr=8-2

It is fairly slow and the camera stops after a burst of 14 RAW files. But it should give you an idea that a read rate of 45 MB/s isn't really fast enough although my files are 50% bigger.

Don't think the 40D supports UDMA cards... Save your money and get the cheaper CF cards.

Real Name
    Bill S

Quote Originally Posted by Eric M View Post
    Don't think the 40D supports UDMA cards... Save your money and get the cheaper CF cards.
    That is true. The 40D does not support UDMA cards. Good catch, Eric.

Real Name
    Richard

The 40D does not support UDMA capability but, I have three Lexar professional UDMA 300X speed 4GB cards which work just fine in my 40D. Although they don't work at record UDMA speed...

I also have a 7D which can take availability of the UDMA at 300X for recording...

I didn't waste money on the UDMA cards even when the 40D was my most recent camera. Lexar had a rebate which lasted only one day! They made a mistake in the rebate announcement and I got a rebate which reduced the price of the cards to ten U.S. Dollars each. I bought three which were the maximum number I could buy under the rebate. I wish I could have purchased a dozen at that price...

What Lexar had intended was to give a ten U.S. Dollar rebate, not a rebate that would reduce the bottom line price of each card to ten dollars. They honored the rebates for purchases made the day the rebate was announced but, rescinded the rebate the next day and announced a ten dollar per card rebate for the rest of the rebate period...

However, there was one slight advantage to using a UDMA card in my 40D (besides getting a good 4GB card for ten bucks). It transfers images to the computer faster than non-UDMA cards if a UDMA reader is used for the transfer.