Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Movement - Photo taken from a speedig train

Real Name
    Sue Baker

Movement - Photo taken from a speedig train

Took this photo last week on a very scenic train journey back from Fort Williams, Scotland UK.

I'm experimenting with 'movement' in pictures at the moment, with a view to do a presentation using my photos in October at my local Camera Club.

This one was taken whilst sticking my head and camera out of the train window, it was travelling around 100 mph (I think) Bit mad I know, but I really did get some cracking shots.

Not sure about this one though, It may be improved by chopping out the sky but I can't make my mind up if this is worth including in my portfolio or not -I'm hoping you can help make my mind up. Constructive criticism very welcome (Exif info below)

_20110502_99_17 by Quixic, on Flickr

Exif:
    Canon 350D
    f/7.1
    1/25 sec.
    ISO 200
    0 step exposure
    18 mm focal length

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Movement - Photo taken from a speedig train

Quote Originally Posted by Quix Photography View Post
    Took this photo last week on a very scenic train journey back from Fort Williams, Scotland UK.
    Fort William - the place where some of world's most beautiful, wonderful and intelligent people come from (well ... me!). Doubt if that train was doing 100 mph, Sue. Not unless the driver was in a rush to get home for something!

I think there might be some merit in taking out some of the sky. Why? Because the inclusion of so much gives it, I feel a touch of realism. And if you take out some of it it makes it a more abstract image. I wonder about cropping it to a 16:9 aspect ratio with the top of the frame being just below the top of the hill in the background at the left hand side?

Real Name
    Sue Baker

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Fort William - the place where some of world's most beautiful, wonderful and intelligent people come from (well ... me!). Doubt if that train was doing 100 mph, Sue. Not unless the driver was in a rush to get home for something!
    Bless... nice to hear from someone living close to where we travelled to last week. It was my first visit, and thoroughly enjoyed all the beautiful scenery up your end of the country.

As for the train - it certainly felt fast enough he he

I've tried out your suggestion - definite improvement thanks for the feedback.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Nice shot, Sue. Looks abstract to me. Have you thought of converting it to black and white? If I would have a chance to do something like this in the future I would probably go for a semi wide angled lens so I can incorporate some of the road and the sky to add more perspective to it. Just my wild opinion. This one sure looks interesting to me. Nice work, Sue.

Hi,
    Very good but somewhat like that .....