Some recent live music photographs

Canon 5D, Canon 50 f/1.4 or Tamron 17-35 f/2.8-4

Re: Some recent live music photographs

wow!! love the ultra wide look of #1 and love the lighting in #4
    what ISO did you use? did you add light for #1?
    was it available light only for the rest of them?

ISO 3200 on all of them. #1 I was holding a flash bounced off ceiling in my left hand; the rest are available light.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Peach View Post
    ISO 3200 on all of them. #1 I was holding a flash bounced off ceiling in my left hand; the rest are available light.
    You sure caught the mood well Henry.

My fave is #1; I feel #4 would benefit from a bit more frontal light on the musician

Roxy.

well well ! finally my favorite category pics the bounce flash is visible tooo much shooting in available light would have been more realistic cuttiing of the guitar front,the head,the hand should have been avoided its creating a disturbance in composition,and the storyline but still the pics are colorful,attractive, and well shot in lot of ways

Is number1 iso1600 or iso3200? I don't know if my exif viewer gone wrong. I use firefox with fxif and exif viewer, usually it's ok but sometimes stuff is missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey View Post
    Is number1 iso1600 or iso3200? I don't know if my exif viewer gone wrong. I use firefox with fxif and exif viewer, usually it's ok but sometimes stuff is missing.
    It could be ISO 1600; I was just remembering off the top of my head. These days i usually stick it on ISO 3200 and forget about it.

Quote Originally Posted by taken View Post
    ...cuttiing of the guitar front,the head,the hand should have been avoided
    It was done quite intentionally. I've always been taught to fill the frame. One of the very first Drawing 101 assignments is compose so the subject breaks the frame on at least three sides.

really like them too, had a look through some of the others in the gallery but not all (you have quite a lot I notice ). I presume you still photograph concerts?

I followed the pic location links to the other music photo albums and thought many here would be interested if you haven't posted them already. Look forward to seeing more

Nice work Henry,
    I like the use of flash in #1.
    In this type of predominently tungsten lighting, try putting a yellow filter over the flash.

Quote Originally Posted by cav View Post
    In this type of predominently tungsten lighting, try putting a yellow filter over the flash.
    I've got CTO gels for weddings, but I think sometimes they tend to make the light look too cool and stark (once it's white balanced). Most of the time I like warm backgrounds better. It just depends on the scene and the mood.

The whole point of shooting bands for me is to keep it fun and easy (I don't shoot big concerts, just local bar stuff). That means keeping the gear simple, and working with what I find. Besides I like all the crazy colors. These aren't normal tungsten bulbs, they are colored stage lights. I've suggested to the sound guy to try some other colors besides red and yellow, but they like those hot colors I guess? The rest of the lights in the bars are tungsten, neon, florescent, and even UV. I'd need a stack of gels, and it would start being too much like work!