Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Dabbled with long shutters.

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    75
    Real Name
    André

    Dabbled with long shutters.

    Hey!

    I went for a BBQ yesterday and had a lovely evening with some friends by the sea. I brought my camera along for the occation, along with my 50mm prime. As people were leaving and the night came creeping upon us, I decided to take a walk and I got some really good shots (I think) of the sea and the sunset.

    Since I have no tripod, I had to fashion my own out of nearby rocks and sticks. It worked pretty well! A bit of a hassle though compared to a tripod.

    Anyway, here's two of my shots from last night.

    Dabbled with long shutters.
    ISO 100, 50mm, f/22, 2 sec.

    Dabbled with long shutters.
    ISO 100, 50mm, f/8, 30 sec.

    C&C greatly appreciated!

    Thanks for viewing!

  2. #2
    Peter Ryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    1,971
    Real Name
    Peter

    Re: Dabbled with long shutters.

    Hi Andre. Not sure if it is just me but I cannot see the images.

  3. #3
    stevewe88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Northamptonshire, UK
    Posts
    410
    Real Name
    Steve

    Re: Dabbled with long shutters.

    Quote Originally Posted by Slugbug View Post
    Hey!

    I went for a BBQ yesterday and had a lovely evening with some friends by the sea. I brought my camera along for the occation, along with my 50mm prime. As people were leaving and the night came creeping upon us, I decided to take a walk and I got some really good shots (I think) of the sea and the sunset.

    Since I have no tripod, I had to fashion my own out of nearby rocks and sticks. It worked pretty well! A bit of a hassle though compared to a tripod.

    Anyway, here's two of my shots from last night.

    Dabbled with long shutters.
    ISO 100, 50mm, f/22, 2 sec.

    Dabbled with long shutters.
    ISO 100, 50mm, f/8, 30 sec.

    C&C greatly appreciated!

    Thanks for viewing!
    Lovely shots Andre, well done. Especially with a homemade tripod but I am sure that will make you appreciate the shots even more.

    I like the first one the best, maybe you could try a bit of dodging to bring out some detail in the foreground rocks and perhaps increase the vibrance to bring out the colours in the sky a bit more.

    On the second shot, I like the composition very much but I would be inclined to clone out the buoys, certainly the one on the right but probably both of them as they seem to draw the eyes away from the rest of the image.

    Both are lovely shots and you should be very pleased with them.
    Cheers
    Steve

  4. #4
    Peter Ryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    1,971
    Real Name
    Peter

    Re: Dabbled with long shutters.

    Ah, now I can see them. Great work Andre. Beautiful colours. I agree with Steve on the first but I am not as concerned about the buoys in the second. Well done. I hope managed to find time to enjoy the BBQ while setting all this up?

  5. #5
    Moderator Donald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Glenfarg, Scotland
    Posts
    20,237
    Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

    Re: Dabbled with long shutters.

    Andrew

    The second shot does not hold my attention in the same way as does the first. I think, maybe, that we have too great an expanse of water in the frame and the appearance of land at the bottom left pulls attention away from the middle and background.

    The shutter speed used on the first one is very suitable to the subject.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    75
    Real Name
    André

    Re: Dabbled with long shutters.

    Thanks for the replies!

    Quote Originally Posted by stevewe88 View Post
    Lovely shots Andre, well done. Especially with a homemade tripod but I am sure that will make you appreciate the shots even more.

    I like the first one the best, maybe you could try a bit of dodging to bring out some detail in the foreground rocks and perhaps increase the vibrance to bring out the colours in the sky a bit more.

    On the second shot, I like the composition very much but I would be inclined to clone out the buoys, certainly the one on the right but probably both of them as they seem to draw the eyes away from the rest of the image.

    Both are lovely shots and you should be very pleased with them.
    Cheers
    Steve
    I agree that the colour of the sky looks a bit dull, and I could bring it forth with some vibrance. I was going to do that earlier today, but I noticed that the horizon was off by a degree or so, and I got a bit mad at myself for missing that in the first place so I didn't go through with it just yet. As for the stones, I think they look pretty good now, but I'll try some dodging and see if magic happens!

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Ryan View Post
    Ah, now I can see them. Great work Andre. Beautiful colours. I agree with Steve on the first but I am not as concerned about the buoys in the second. Well done. I hope managed to find time to enjoy the BBQ while setting all this up?
    I had plenty of time to enjoy the BBQ! Can't miss out on the first BBQ of the year! We had burgers, steaks, hot dogs, porkchops and lots of other stuff. I don't think I can name all of it.

    I think the buoys adds something to the picture, but I could definately let the right ones go and just leave the one in the middle.

    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Andrew

    The second shot does not hold my attention in the same way as does the first. I think, maybe, that we have too great an expanse of water in the frame and the appearance of land at the bottom left pulls attention away from the middle and background.

    The shutter speed used on the first one is very suitable to the subject.
    Indeed, the rail going down into the sea is distracting. I opted to take it away, but my girlfriend insisted on leaving it in. I'll print your reply Donald and show it to her.

    I'll have a go at some more PP when I've got more spare time on my hands. Not to mention the B&W benches!
    Last edited by Slugbug; 2nd May 2011 at 11:40 PM. Reason: typo

  7. #7
    jiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    3,804
    Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

    Re: Dabbled with long shutters.

    I like both, André but for me #2 really ROCKS! I certainly agree with Steve about cloning the 2 buoys. You did very well on this shot, Man!
    Last edited by jiro; 3rd May 2011 at 12:10 AM.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    75
    Real Name
    André

    Re: Dabbled with long shutters.

    Thanks for the super kind words Willie! If you guys keep this up it's going to be a long night!

  9. #9

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Gloucester UK
    Posts
    455
    Real Name
    John Wright

    Re: Dabbled with long shutters.

    Exposures like these make great photos - it's photo one for me - it's very attractive with the sky colour,lovely photo and well done re. the makeshift camera support.

  10. #10
    jeeperman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Seattle Washington
    Posts
    3,550
    Real Name
    Paul

    Re: Dabbled with long shutters.

    I like both but it is #1 for me as well. Also agree with the rest as for the bouys. The closest forground rock is a bit distracting in #2 also. Nicely done.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    75
    Real Name
    André

    Re: Dabbled with long shutters.

    Thanks for the replies! I'm going to have to get out more so I can bring you more goodies!

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    75
    Real Name
    André

    Re: Dabbled with long shutters.

    Had some spare time now, and got around to trying out some different crops and such on #2.

    Which one do you guys prefer?

    Dabbled with long shutters.

    Dabbled with long shutters.

    Thanks for viewing!

  13. #13
    jiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    3,804
    Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

    Re: Dabbled with long shutters.

    André, from what I have read on a book about landscape photography it tells a certain principle about composition like this: "If you want to emphasize the foreground, put the horizon on the top 1/3. If you want to emphasize the sky, put the horizon on the lower 1/3. If possible, depending on the scene, don't put the horizon at the dead center as you would lose the dynamic look of the image."

    I like the original one better for the reason that it evokes tranquility for me better than the last 2 edits you have made. The shots are really great because of the colors and the subject. In a subtle way, you lost some impact from the close cropping. This is my personal opinion so take it lightly, André. In short, I would still go with the original posted image sans the 2 buoys.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •