Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Ecuadorian Architecture

Real Name
    Peter

Ecuadorian Architecture

Ecuador had some fantastic architecture from the Spanish period of occupation. I will show some of the buildings later on (when I process them) but this is an example of what were once gracious homes that have been turned into private hotels and most are naturally located in the old town areas.

The central open area has been covered over and turned into the dining room. Generally these places are two stories high with balconies overlooking the dining area. In this case they had a beautifully appointed reading room for sue of the guests.
    C & C welcome.
    Ecuadorian Architecture

Ecuadorian Architecture

Ecuadorian Architecture

Real Name
    Paul

Re: Ecuadorian Architecture

Peter these are fantastically interesting. Well done. I find the second photo intrigueing with great lighting. They are all great, but with your ok I would like to have a play with #2. Really just for my own learning rather than it needing anything.

Real Name
    Peter

No problems Paul. I pulled back a fair bit of brightness in the window area to show detail in the louver door but kept a little brightness to draw the eye into the image and provide some depth.

I have to admit this is not the style of architecture I expected in Ecuador. I had no expectation really but this blew me away. I have some other great examples I will post as I get around to it.

Real Name
    Paul

Peter, I had kinda the same idea, it is fun to test my skills as I learn. This photo was a great opportunity. So how did I do?

Ecuadorian Architecture

Real Name
    Peter

I can see you have opened the shadow detail and it does give more information but on my screen (the work one that is not profiled) the shot looks a bit bright with a flater more even lighting whereas I am going on my memory of a room with slightly more subdued lighting. I think somewhere in between would be more like it.

I have also been working on a little less sharpening, as I have been a little heavy handed in the past and that is very much a personal preference. The paper I use is quiet contrasty and I have got into the habit of slightly softer sharpening as the contrast picks up definition in the print.

Thanks for taking the time to show your impression of this image Paul. Feel free to have a play with anything I post.

Real Name
    Paul

I see what you mean. It did get a little bright on me. Was fun to have a go. I might just have to study and play with it more as I think I can learn from it. Thanks Peter.

Real Name
    Peter

It is fair to say Paul that if I ever printed any of these I would probably have to process more in the line of your rendition as the paper I use is contrasty and the dark area would print too dark. I would also use my screen at home. I find there is different processing requirements for the screen, print and now for DVD shows I have done. So I tend to do my final processing for the intended output medium.

Real Name
    Paul

I have yet to start printing my own, however I have noticed I have to do the same when sending out to the printer. So far I am still very much a hobbiest, although I did sell my first print this week. =} Twas the Red sunset that won the first mini-comp I had entered here back in January. What a surprise that was.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

The achievement of these (and I suspect we're going to see a lot more of the same) is that they take us to these locations and describe and illustrate them wonderfully well. I think it's reasonable to say that we viewers now have a very real sense of the mood and style not only of the rooms we are seeing but of the building and its environment. And that's quite an achievement.
    Last edited by Donald; 29th April 2011 at 07:49 AM.

Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

What a beautiful place or is it more than one hotel? I love the last one... it makes me want to be there, walking out of my room to get a cup of coffee and go sit someplace and just enjoy the surroundings. Thanks for letting me travel with you.

Real Name
    Peter

Thanks Donald and Mary. I will find more when I have cut the grass, got the wood in for wnter, etc but I am looking forward to sharing others with you. Thanks for your interest.

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by jeeperman View Post
    I have yet to start printing my own, however I have noticed I have to do the same when sending out to the printer. So far I am still very much a hobbiest, although I did sell my first print this week. =} Twas the Red sunset that won the first mini-comp I had entered here back in January. What a surprise that was.
    Hey, well done Paul. This post escaped me when I had a quick follow up. It is a nice feeling when you know someone likes your work enough to hang it on thier wall and look at it regularly.

Real Name
    Paul

Thank you Peter, you are absolutely correct.