Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Unpacked puzzle

Real Name
    Erik

Unpacked puzzle

Hi All,

I have not posted for some time I'm sorry to say.
    I do though, have a photo to share. I showed this photo in a photography class that I am taking. The other students liked it. Funny I didn't get any comment from the teacher???

Hope you like it as well. Always open to C&C

Erik
    Unpacked puzzle

Real Name
    Erik

Re: Unpacked puzzle

Heh forgot the details.
    I was on manual mode (as instructed for the class)
    Shutter 1/5sec
    f/5.0
    ISO 400

Real Name
    Al

Hi Eric,

What confuses me about this shot is your use of DOF. The sharpest focus is near the vertical center, so my attention is drawn there, but the only thing I can find there is some indistinguishable, half-buried piece that looks a bit like the back of a bee (with two yellow spots on a black background). Since I can't tell what that is, or why it would be of special interest, I keep looking for something else, and I can't find it. It seems to me that the special piece near the center of the image should be removed completely, and/or reshoot with the entire image in focus. Just my humble opinion... perhaps I just don't understand the shot.

Real Name
    Erik

Hi Al,

Interesting comments. I'll need to play with the aperture to get it all in focus (with a different puzzle as this one is finished). At first I found the effect nice, but now that I really look at it, I see what you mean.

Thanks for your insight.

Erik

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

In the same line of thought with Al, I find the image too busy with no definite subject to focus my attention. I hope I am not too harsh on you, Erik.

Real Name
    Erik

Hi Jiro,

Not harsh at all. Both you and Al and the other posts I read here give me a better understanding and appreciation for "reading" photographs. After my Camera Basic class that I am taking, I plan on taking the class on composition to understand it better and to take photographs that are actually appealing and eye-catching.

Erik