Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Acceptable HDR image?

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
    Posts
    64
    Real Name
    Tyler Berge

    Acceptable HDR image?

    Acceptable HDR image?

    I began HDR and I really like it. I try to do it every other day if not every day to practice. Is this an acceptable HDR image?
    This is the picture I took, It is my photostream.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 30th April 2011 at 12:08 AM.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    17,662
    Real Name
    Have a guess :)

    Re: Acceptable HDR image?

    Hi Canonman13 (what's your first name by the way?),

    We can't see your photo - the properties of the placeholder appear to point to a folder, not an image.

    To show, images need to end in "filename.jpg"

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
    Posts
    64
    Real Name
    Tyler Berge

    Re: Acceptable HDR image?

    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Hi Canonman13 (what's your first name by the way?),

    We can't see your photo - the properties of the placeholder appear to point to a folder, not an image.

    To show, images need to end in "filename.jpg"
    Fixed it.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    17,662
    Real Name
    Have a guess :)

    Re: Acceptable HDR image?

    As it stands it has great potential, but it's totally flat (no blacks).

    I achieved most of this by simply raising the black clipping point ...

    Acceptable HDR image?
    (Note: My version still needs a bit of fine tuning).

    I'm curious as to why you needed to use HDR techniques to capture this scene in the first place though - it doesn't look like the dynamic range was particularly great.

  5. #5
    ktuli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    1,518
    Real Name
    Bill S

    Re: Acceptable HDR image?

    I have to agree with Colin here. The first image felt like a scene out of Shrek. Great detail, but everything was washed out.

    - Bill

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
    Posts
    64
    Real Name
    Tyler Berge

    Re: Acceptable HDR image?

    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    As it stands it has great potential, but it's totally flat (no blacks).

    I achieved most of this by simply raising the black clipping point ...

    Acceptable HDR image?
    (Note: My version still needs a bit of fine tuning).

    I'm curious as to why you needed to use HDR techniques to capture this scene in the first place though - it doesn't look like the dynamic range was particularly great.
    As you see my first image, the original image that I took is not that great. I just like HDR because it resembles of what you see when you are there. I may have accidently shot in jpg instead of raw.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Brighton, UK
    Posts
    11
    Real Name
    Chris

    Re: Acceptable HDR image?

    This is a good start.

    HDR is used to bring out more tones in an image, especially the shadows and highlights to create an almost 3D image. What software are you using to process your iamges?

    here are some of my attempts that i think bring out the highlights in the image-

    Acceptable HDR image?

    Acceptable HDR image?

    Acceptable HDR image?

    Acceptable HDR image?
    Last edited by g3ck0; 4th May 2011 at 10:11 AM.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
    Posts
    64
    Real Name
    Tyler Berge

    Re: Acceptable HDR image?

    Quote Originally Posted by g3ck0 View Post
    This is a good start.

    HDR is used to bring out more tones in an image, especially the shadows and highlights to create an almost 3D image. What software are you using to process your iamges?

    here are some of my attempts that i think bring out the highlights in the image-

    Acceptable HDR image?

    Acceptable HDR image?

    Acceptable HDR image?

    Acceptable HDR image?
    I am using photoshop cs5 with the HDR efex pro plugin.
    Great photos by the way!

  9. #9

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Brighton, UK
    Posts
    11
    Real Name
    Chris

    Re: Acceptable HDR image?

    Thank you dude,

    Are you using Merge to HDR Pro? If so, have a look at this youtube video, it really helped me-

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsaS5vgzlek

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
    Posts
    64
    Real Name
    Tyler Berge

    Re: Acceptable HDR image?

    Quote Originally Posted by g3ck0 View Post
    Thank you dude,

    Are you using Merge to HDR Pro? If so, have a look at this youtube video, it really helped me-

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsaS5vgzlek
    Wow Thanks! That covered it!

  11. #11

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Brighton, UK
    Posts
    11
    Real Name
    Chris

    Re: Acceptable HDR image?

    Glad i could help

    Just remember, HDR should be used to highlight images. Give them that extra pop, however it should be what looks good to you and not everyone else!

    Have a play around and see what you like!

    If you like going all out, go for something like this -

    Acceptable HDR image?

    If you like subtle, go for this -

    Acceptable HDR image?

    That's the joy of HDR, you can go mental and make it look what some might say OTT, or you can use it to bring out the tones/highlights in pictures.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •