Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: EXIF Data

Real Name
    Jim

EXIF Data

I started using "save for the web" in PSE7.I noticed that the EXIF data is gone in the jpeg file when I save.I don't see any settings in the program to prevent the data from being stripped from the file when I save.Any ideas?
    Regards,
    Jim

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: EXIF Data

Hi Jim,

Call me old fashioned (or just old), but I have to say I steer clear of options like that, as I don't know what they're upto.

If I want a version for the web, I downsize manually (and re-sharpen), then "Save As" with a filename suffix = to the horizontal pixel count; e.g. DSCF6145_ed1_W680.jpg is the 680 pixel wide version of DSCF6145_ed1.jpg.

I can still re-open the latter if I want the high res edited version, or the unedited original; was saved as DSCF6145.jpg.

Call me lazy, but I suggest you do the same. A google for "'save for the web' + PSE7" might return something that explains what's happening.

Here's one I made earlier;
    If the link above works, you'll see the EXIF below the picture.

Regards,

Real Name
    Jim

Hi Dave,

Great tip,thanks!Your link works.Your save method works faster also.

Regards,
    Jim

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim B. View Post
    Your save method works faster also.
    Probably because PSE is doing the downsize recalc and possibly a re-sharpen all in one click, great if you know that and have control over what it is doing, but not so great if the defaults aren't what you want or have other side effects as you've found.

Glad to be of help, sounds like we're both novices at this PP lark with PSE6/7, I may be just a few weeks ahead of you in some areas, that's all.

Cheers,

Guys,

I use the "save for web" option in Photoshop (CS4 in my case, where the menu item is called "save for web and devices") when I create thumbnails for my website. I've always interpreted "save for web" as meaning "do everything possible to compact the image into as small a memory footprint as possible". It's then expected (to me at least) that the EXIF data disappears. I use Dave's approach (without the image dimensions) when I save photos for my site.

HTH,
    Graham

Real Name
    Jim

Hi Graham,

"do everything possible to compact the image into as small a memory footprint as possible".
    Makes a lot of sense.
    Thanks,
    Jim

Real Name
    Jim

Dave,

The deeper I get into the program,the more I like it.I'm enjoying the learning experience and looking forward to producing much better images.
    Regards,
    Jim

Didn't realise save for web stripped exif too, not that much of a size increase really (but surplus to most requirements admittedly).

I personally like exif data to remain so try best to preserve. I notice a difference between images saved on different machines, the cs3 saved images have basic exif, the cs4 saved ones have silly detail on exactly what I did to them, I mean over 100 values right down to sharpening radius and how much applied. Seems overkill at first but it's useful when look back and cannot remember what I did when processed raw, in 1 click I can see exactly what i did and how much I did it.

It's not much use to anyone but me really, most people just wanna see aperature, exposure, and perhaps camera model and lens. Sometimes at a stretch focal distance, iso, etc are useful but only really for stitching or something.