Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Tripod for Canon Sx20is

Real Name
    Jonathan

Tripod for Canon Sx20is

Hello,

I want to start making my "gear". I have decided to buy a tripod first because something like a flash depends more on the type of the camera, and I think that I'll be able to buy a DSLR whithin the next 3 years. So, I'd like to have some advices on a good tripod to buy for my Canon Sx20 is, but that would also be useful when I buy a new camera. If you want to suggest ballheads too, it's welcome.

As for how much I want to spend, it is sort of a problem, since this kind of thing is much more expensive in Brazil than in USA for example. But I think that for my level things that would cost about 150 USD are fine. Unfortunately, shipping rates for these stuffs in websites such as Amazon and BHphotoevideo to Brazil are too expensive as well, about 100 USD

Thank you for the attntion =)

Re: Tripod for Canon Sx20is

For a lightweight easy to carry tripod I purchased a Velbon Luxi L which has 4 leg sections so it folds up to around 14 ins which makes it very easy to carry around. Velbon produce other models which are also around your price range.

But for serious work I have the Manfrotto 055X Prob with a ball grip head. But this is cumbersome, heavy, and a little outside your price guide. However, it is also very strongly made and really steady, even when using a considerable weight of equipment.

Real Name
    Jonathan

Hi,

Geoff F, thank you for the suggestion. As for the budget, I was searching a little, and it seems that it isn't a bad idea to make it higher - I mean, I'd just need to wait a little more in order to save some more money

By the way, do you think that it is worth to mind about buying a tripod that's going to be useful to a future camera, or should I only think in what I have at the moment. I think that even if I spend more now, it would be better than spending money twice, or not?

Well if you are going to upgrade to a 'serious' camera at some stage I suppose that it would make some sense to get a tripod which will stand the transition.

However, the best of the 'cheaper' lighter weight options will still work with dslr cameras. I have used my Velbon with a Canon 40D and Sigma 150-500 lens; although I prefer a reasonable shutter speed for this set up.

I would probably suggest considering the weight and carrying size of any tripod along with your intended use, both now and in a few years.

The Manfrotto will certainly 'take the strain' but the weight and relatively long fold down size (around 80 cms including head) may prove restrictive.