Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Murrumbidgee River

Real Name
    Dante Apolinar

Murrumbidgee River

Hi gurus,
    Currently I am documenting the Murrumbidgee River as for my assignment, i made more than 200 shots last weekend and planning to do more in different river's location, here's the sample of my shot and some of them where already entered in the mini and monthly comp. If you could give me some tips that would be handy, C&C welcome.
    Murrumbidgee River

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Murrumbidgee River

Dante

First of all, that sounds like an excellent project. Something like that really focuses attention on one topic or subject.

On this image:

I like the light on the water. The white water creates a nice pattern as is flows through the image. And given the tonal range, you have made a very good job of the exposure.

I can appreciate that you might have been thinking about foreground interest by choosing that particular location - to get the branch in the foreground. However, I think it detracts from the image. Imagine the picture without that branch across the front. I see it as a much stronger image.

Real Name
    Christopher Hotton

I have to agree with Donald that the foreground branch is a problem. I think you have got the exposure spot on to get the right feel of the flowing water without too much "cotton wool"

It sounds as if you have an interesting project there and I hope that we shall see other of your river images. I live close by the River Thames in perhaps the most beautiful section between Marlow and Henley. I have been photographing the rive for some years and never get bored or stuck for new opportunities or ideas.

Real Name
    Dante Apolinar

Thanks Donald and Chris, i agree the branch needs to be removed.
    I lived close to this river, in aboriginal term Murrumbidgee from Wiradjuri language, meaning 'Big Water'. Sometimes this river is quite dry to capture, Australian bush is very challenging you have to get the right timing on the right season to get good images. Cheers.