Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Two Purple Martin Shots

Real Name
    Chris

Two Purple Martin Shots

They like to "fish" for their food and often get wet which requires a lot of drying out time. Even so, at "still" they move frequently to shift the feather layers - I guess to even the drying. These were shot with the Sigma 70-300 with 2x at 500mm 5.6 at 1/500 ISO 320.

Not bad shots, but they don't hold a candle to what Steve is showing with his heron shots. Oh well, something else to save up for.

Two Purple Martin Shots

Two Purple Martin Shots

Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

Re: Two Purple Martin Shots

Not bad at all.

Real Name
    Wendy

Hi Chris: I'm wondering if these are Blackbirds. The Purple Martins in this area have shorter beaks and don't have yellow eyes. Of course I'm in Southern Ontario - Perhaps these are the American versions

Wendy

Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by MiniChris View Post
    They like to "fish" for their food and often get wet which requires a lot of drying out time. Even so, at "still" they move frequently to shift the feather layers - I guess to even the drying. These were shot with the Sigma 70-300 with 2x at 500mm 5.6 at 1/500 ISO 320.

Not bad shots, but they don't hold a candle to what Steve is showing with his heron shots. Oh well, something else to save up for.

Two Purple Martin Shots

Two Purple Martin Shots
    The first time I looked at them, I was using my phone... did not do justice to them, at all. Really, very nice.

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutR View Post
    Hi Chris: I'm wondering if these are Blackbirds. The Purple Martins in this area have shorter beaks and don't have yellow eyes. Of course I'm in Southern Ontario - Perhaps these are the American versions

Wendy
    I looked up some birds in a "Bird Book" and from the description, it seems they might be Boat-tail Grablers instead..I sent them to a friend who is a birder and will let you know when he lets me know. We are on a migratory path for just about every bird in N.A., so it could be just about anything.

Real Name
    Paul

That first one really shows the beautiful coloring. Nice!