Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scott Kelby Books

Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

Scott Kelby Books

I am getting ready to order Scott Kelby's Photoshop CS5 and Lightroom 3 books. If anyone has these do you recommend them or should I look at some other ones? I've also been looking at 'Understanding Exposure' by Bryan Peterson.

If this is the wrong section for this please move it.
    Last edited by ilovelucydog; 17th April 2011 at 01:17 PM.

Real Name
    Chris

Re: Scott Kelby Books

I have several Kelby books and I like them...I wonder if you wouldn't be better off subscribing to the Kelby online series...you can stop at any time and the videos are quite thorough. However, that said, the videos do not cover everything the books do...toss up time. The books tend to be pretty thorough.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by MiniChris View Post
    I have several Kelby books and I like them...I wonder if you wouldn't be better off subscribing to the Kelby online series...you can stop at any time and the videos are quite thorough. However, that said, the videos do not cover everything the books do...toss up time. The books tend to be pretty thorough.
    I thought of that and maybe I'll do both. I think the books will be helpful for work stuff that isn't really what I enjoy, but need to do it, KWIM? That way, I can have the book open while I trudge on in my task.

Real Name
    Sam Smith, I have photo ID

I agree with Chris. I have both books and they are very good. I also have another CS5 book that is written in a very technical style that is hard to read at times. Both are written in plain language.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Smith View Post
    I agree with Chris. I have both books and they are very good. I also have another CS5 book that is written in a very technical style that is hard to read at times. Both are written in plain language.
    Thank you, Sam. Technical style... I better pass on that. I need simplified... spoken to as if I know nuthin' cuz I don't know nuthin'.

Real Name
    Russell

Hi, JMO but Understanding Exposure' by Bryan Peterson. did not find it that interesting as for SK books I only have one but I tend to get bored with books I found a better option was the video tuts on Lynda.com because I feel seeing someone actually do the exercise is a lot easier.
    Russ

Real Name

Thanks. I'll take a closer look at them and the videos.

Real Name
    Steve

I am a huge Kelby fan. His books are written in a very easy going style with humour and I find them so easy to follow.

I would thoroughly recommend his 7 points book, it gives you such a good basic knowledge that the more technical stuff seems to make more sense.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by stevewe88 View Post
    I am a huge Kelby fan. His books are written in a very easy going style with humour and I find them so easy to follow.

I would thoroughly recommend his 7 points book, it gives you such a good basic knowledge that the more technical stuff seems to make more sense.
    Thank you, Steve. I'll look at that one as well.

Real Name
    Al

I second (or third or fourth) the notion of both books and video. The videos are great and take you thru the techniques and tools, so that you become comfortable with them, but there's a lot to learn. There's nothing like having book to go back to and the refresh your memory of just how something is done if it's been a few days or weeks since you watched the video, and don't want to sit through the entire video again to recall a couple of details. Kelby's books are great in this role, since they're written in an "open at any page and dive in" style... you don't have to read Chapters 1-10 to understand the material in Chapter 11 that you really need at the moment. Kelby's books and videos are definitely "how-to" instructions that don't get bogged down in the technical innards. Highly recommended.

Real Name

I think you've got the right plan.

Real Name
    Kay

I 5th or 6th the both option.
    I have signed up to the videos and I have the CS5 book - both are terrific in different ways and I use both equally

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by wilgk View Post
    I 5th or 6th the both option.
    I have signed up to the videos and I have the CS5 book - both are terrific in different ways and I use both equally
    They're ordered. Thanks.

Real Name
    Jim

I have several of his books and when Kelby training comes to Columbus, Ohio, I am there also. I also subscribed to the online training and if you use the videos and the books together, you can see it done and read about it to further inhance the learning. Thank God for this site and also for Kelby (photoshopuser) site. A lot of learning can be done on both sites. You will enjoy the books for they go step by step and he tells you what to do and why you do it. Good luck.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by jyddentz View Post
    I have several of his books and when Kelby training comes to Columbus, Ohio, I am there also. I also subscribed to the online training and if you use the videos and the books together, you can see it done and read about it to further inhance the learning. Thank God for this site and also for Kelby (photoshopuser) site. A lot of learning can be done on both sites. You will enjoy the books for they go step by step and he tells you what to do and why you do it. Good luck.
    Thanks, Jim. I am enjoying his books and learning a ton.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by ilovelucydog View Post
    Thanks, Jim. I am enjoying his books and learning a ton.
    Scott also makes his books available in Kindle format - so if anyone's "keen", they can buy an electronic copy, and be reading it a few minutes later on their PC, Mac, iPhone, or iPad - I buy all my books this way now.

Also, for iPhone / iPad users, check out the Photoshop TV that Scott / Matt / Dave / RC do - it's entertaining - fun - informative - and free (under podcasts in iTunes).

Gosh I love my iPhone 4

I would recommend reading all 3 of his "digital photography" books.

I would also encourage you to join kelbytraining - a much faster and easier way of learning photoshop than reading books.

http://www.kelbytraining.com/

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Scott also makes his books available in Kindle format - so if anyone's "keen", they can buy an electronic copy, and be reading it a few minutes later on their PC, Mac, iPhone, or iPad - I buy all my books this way now.

Also, for iPhone / iPad users, check out the Photoshop TV that Scott / Matt / Dave / RC do - it's entertaining - fun - informative - and free (under podcasts in iTunes).

Gosh I love my iPhone 4
    I didn't want one... but if I lost it now... I'd have a complete melt down! Screaming, crying, sling myself on the floor in horror.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Blazing fire View Post
    I would recommend reading all 3 of his "digital photography" books.

I would also encourage you to join kelbytraining - a much faster and easier way of learning photoshop than reading books.

http://www.kelbytraining.com/
    I have read all three. Thanks.

Real Name
    Mike

I have read all three, and are really good. However, I can see where those who read and watch the videos would pick up faster. Thats my frustration. Cant use the videos because I cant hear... and to make matters worse, Im a visual learner! So the Kelby style of books work for me. Any other good ones out there along those lines?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast