Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Looking for herons, settled on a goose

Real Name
    Homer

Looking for herons, settled on a goose

I went to the heronry this morning. Nice mist, no herons. Liked this B&W of a goose, though. GH2 f5.7 1/100 ISO200 about 3/5 crop out of a horizonal frame.

Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

Re: Looking for herons, settled on a goose

Looks like a beautiful scene to take in.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Nice one, Homer.

You've managed the mist well in terms of the overall exposure. It can be challenging.

Real Name
    Homer

Couldn't find any herons, so I shot a goose

Thank you. The histogram indicated I needed to add about 1 stop of exposure and I added a little darkening at the lower fringe of the reflection.
    Last edited by Boatman; 16th April 2011 at 03:34 PM.

Real Name
    Wendy

Beautiful shot Homer. Lovely as is but I might be tempted to crop out the bottom, just above the reflected treeline and sticks in the water and perhaps a tad on the right to get the goose closer to a third horizontaly and vertically. I love the way the forest stands out through the mist and me being me I would want to accentuate that a little bit either by adjusting the black point and/or lightening shadows and darkening darks. I might even clone out the stump left centre so all attention is on the duck the fog and the forest.

Like I say that is just me, I can never leave things alone. This is a beautiful moody scene and I would love to have come across it myself. Thanks for sharing, hope to see more in the future, looks like you have a nice spot for some interesting shots

Wendy

Real Name
    Homer

ScoutR; I agree, all are good options but I'd be cutting pretty deep into the image. Probably not enough left to print in any size.

This image is very similar to what you are describing and is only about a 3/5 crop. Nice feature, this 16MP; you can throw away half the picture and still have an image that will print to 11 x 14! Now all I need to do is get my B&W printing under control. I've not had much luck with gray scale printing on an inkjet printer. Has anyone started any good threads on B&W inkjet printing?

As shot:

Real Name
    Wendy

Hi Homer: I hope you don't mind but I did a quick edit on your first shot to show you what I mean. The tone changes are (or should be) subtle and the crop is minor but I think if you like it you have enough pixels. Anyway, like I said I do like the original, but could not resist playing around. It is the type of shot where you can do so much and create such moods. I hope you get a chance to go back, preferably in the fog and get some more. Just imagine Herons fishing in the early morning fog....Nice

Wendy

Real Name
    Homer

Wendy: It does look good but it would be a deep cut as I already took 2/5 out. Interestingly, I took a half dozen of these shot and rejected them all on the first past. Compostion - tame. Coloring - bland. Lighting - not spectacular. Yet if you crop into these and go B&W there are three or four of the images that are comparable with these.

I guess it just goes to show; sometime you have to look a little deeper and find the image within.

Thanks for your comments.

Homer