John Bernardo Conti III

Climb On

Climb On

Quartz Mountain Oklahoma "Baldy Point"
    Brett Olsen climbing "The Hobbit" 5.7****

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: Climb On

Wow, this is a very cool shot, John. Nice work!

Real Name
    Paul

Isn't that you on the rock? Now that would be a heck of a trick to take that shot. It is a nice shot, great perspective. Really shows the long way down quite well.

Real Name
    John Bernardo Conti III

Thanks,Giro. It's been a while. If you remember one of my first posts was of a climber. I was 200'+ hanging from rope for this one!

Real Name
    John Bernardo Conti III

Paul, that would be a trick. I did in fact climb the same route he is on to get to the summit so I could set up an anchor to lower from. I set out ahead of the climbers to get my act together and then had a blast shooting this event for two days.

Real Name
    Paul

My hats off to you! I climb 3 stories up a ladder every day for work and that is enough for me. Give me 130+mph on two wheels all day, but you won't catch me hanging with you up there. I have to give you credit, doubt I could open my eyes much less fumble with my gear. Nice work!

Real Name
    John Bernardo Conti III

Tomorrow morning I'm going to shoot an indoor climbing comp. I have a delima! I have been offered to be paid in trade(gym time) and dont really have the right lens for the setting. It's tall and narrow. I will be shooting from above the climbers but, with no pretty background(lots of people watching from the ground). I have: 50mm 1.8,105mm 2.5, 18-105kit. The kit is the best suited focal length but, the bokeh wont be there. What do you think?

Real Name
    Paul

I think you are likely right in the pick of those choices. How is the light in this indoor spot. Here there are indoor climbs but the building is 80% glass so plenty of natural light. It is to bad it is such short notice, might have been able to rent another lens.

Real Name
    Robin

Personally I'd remove the vignette, it looks odd and makes the image appear very under exposed, also its soft looking which is odd as the D90 is usually biting sharp.

Real Name
    John Bernardo Conti III

Quote Originally Posted by black pearl View Post
    Personally I'd remove the vignette, it looks odd and makes the image appear very under exposed, also its soft looking which is odd as the D90 is usually biting sharp.
    It is soft for sure. It is due to the denoise slider in UFRaw. I did to all of the pics from this shoot. I just figured it out a few days ago. Im going to re edit ALL of them at some point. The vignette looks cool! It looks under exposed except for where its not. Thanks for commenting.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Just a thought ... Why was the shot so "noisy" that it required "treatment"?

Real Name
    John Bernardo Conti III

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Just a thought ... Why was the shot so "noisy" that it required "treatment"?
    Colin, It was not noisy. The slider was up from another batch. The batch I used it on was the first time, and Im not used to checking it and it was left turned up. I didnt realize that the setting stayed up from session to session, and my eye is not trained enough yet to catch or figure out where issues are coming from.

Real Name
    John Bernardo Conti III

Climb On

over sharp now?