Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Innocence Revisited

Innocence Revisited

I have been digging around in my older images today with the intention of applying my, albeit limited, learning of PP over the last few months. C&C very welcome

Innocence Revisited

And two variants of the same image. I think I know which I prefer but it will be interesting to hear what you have to say

Innocence Revisited

Innocence Revisited

Re: Innocence Revisited

Have we seen something like this, before? I'm sure that I have.... where?

That first one (maybe, because it had the element of surprise) went right through my heart. It's so aggressive and coming out at me (the gun, that is) but, then, I follow it back in to this young, sweet face. It's all wrong in a good way.

Okay, of the second two - I'm going to go with just my first moments of impression. The one without the background looks like a kid "playing" with a gun and it says more to me, bringing my take on it, about how Hollywood corrupts (us Americans and our rotten gangsters) - type of message. The last one, the shirt with the message is more incidental - the "child" is in a bad environment and the shirt is just something that he's put on for "image". The position of the gun, in the last two, does make me stop and think, a little. What does it mean? I'm not sure. It's not down, it's not, necessarily being played with, it's not really quite menacing. It's definitely "there", though.

Well! I know what I'm trying to say but I wonder if I'm, actually, communicating it. (I'm really supposed to be grocery shopping.)

Hey, Steve! I really admire how you "say something" with your photos!=]

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Can't make up my mind re the question of background or no background between #2 & #3. I think the fact is that he looks far too nice and sweet a child (must take after his mother) to be in that seedy surrounding (but maybe that the menace!!) So, on balance, I think I would have #2 before #3.

But, I'd have #1 first anyway. I do like what you've now done with it. I do find it quite disturbing. Excellent.

Have we seen something like this, before? I'm sure that I have.... where?
    Hi Katy, yes I have posted before but when I looked back at them I knew I could make improvements in PP.

I was trying to get tonal contrast and at the same time introduce a contrast in the subject matter. This can be very powerful but comments elsewhere have persuaded me that I have gone too far by introducing the contrast of selective colouring on top of everything else that is going on. Too much in the mix and unnecessary complexity makes for a poor image. My wrists are red from the slapping but I feel creatively purged

The position of the gun, in the last two, does make me stop and think, a little. What does it mean? I'm not sure. It's not down, it's not, necessarily being played with, it's not really quite menacing. It's definitely "there", though.
    I have a variant of this image on my desk at work and it gets similar comment. A photograph should tell the story without explanation and I feel I have failed here by trying to be to clever (who me?). The pistol is in the empty slide back position suggestive that the full clip has been fire...the deed done. The contrast is he doesn't seem to care.
    (must take after his mother)
    Undoubtably, at present WireVixen is exercising every day and has shed quite a few pounds. She has always had legs to die for but now its just getting way too distracting. Still I keep my end of the bargain and only use one hand to shovel sugar into my tea. I have also started walking up the stairs rather than crawling and I do try to to carry my own camera bag....Jeeves is worried about redundancy but lets face it somebody has to tie the laces on ones plimsolls.

I do find it quite disturbing.
    Then I think I have suceded with the message.

Many thanks for the comments Katy and Donal, much appreciated