Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Not sure if this is too "over-the-top"

Real Name
    Chris

Not sure if this is too "over-the-top"

but, and I guess it is because of my film background, I have always been intrigued with movement in the still photograph. There are some things to portray that aren't particularly difficult in terms of exposure and composition, others, not so easy.

This afternoon as the sun was working its way out west, I was chilling on the back deck and admiring how supple a Japanese oak was as it flowed to and fro in the wind. It reminded me of a dance movement...thus, Tree Ballet. C&C begged.

Not sure if this is too "over-the-top"

(I felt like I needed the tree trunk to the right for a constant.)

Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

Re: Not sure if this is too "over-the-top"

I don't think it's over the top... well, the trunk is over the top of the other tree.. Looks like a nice place to sit and chill, and watch the tree move to and fro. I like it... the tree, the movement, the chilling on the back deck... makes me want to be there.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

That works. That really works. It's the fact that some of the leaves are moving whilst others are not, or are but very little. And I do agree that the trunk is relevant to set context and 'anchor' the image.

One suggestion - discovered as I was scrolling down the thread to see Mary's comment. A crop at the top to take the top of the frame to just 3 or 4 mm above the top of the highest leaf?

Excellent

Real Name
    Kay

This is a theme I really like Chris - when I have Dance groups or even sporting groups with a 'Leader' or the like - I often do a shot of kids moving around the solitary figure.....doesn't always work, but it is 1 of my list that I like to try.
    Yours with a landscape scene, when one wouldn't expect it works well.