Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Testing out a Sigma 70-300 lens

Real Name
    Chris

Testing out a Sigma 70-300 lens

These are handheld. The subject was about 100 yards away. I am showing the whole raw image first and the subsequent edit..I may have gone in a bit too far on the crop-over-crops which were set to 5 x 4.
    I know without even looking at past images from the Tamron lense, this is a significantly better image producer...the question is, is it that much better and would I get even a stronger image from a Nikkor lens?

The guy in the middle is taking a picture of the girl's fish with his cell phone.

Real Name
    Paul

Re: Testing out a Sigma 70-300 lens

Quote Originally Posted by MiniChris View Post
    ..the question is, is it that much better and would I get even a stronger image from a Nikkor lens?

The guy in the middle is taking a picture of the girl's fish with his cell phone.
    Who knows Chris ? Even if the quality is better unless you show the two side by side (inadvisable by the way) no one will know. And with the quality of post processing nowadays even if it was better you could easily post process some of the 'missing quality' back in. I bet with a bit of Photoshopping that guys cell phone picture could look like it was taken with a Zeiss lens.
    And this is precisely why I carry around a ton of manual focus Mamiya glass and an adaptor to fit on my Nikon because the quality is so much better ..... er hang on. I may have totally negated my own argument there .....
    I replaced a Tamron 70-300 with the Sigma (by mistake - long story) and the image quality is to my mind a little better I doubt that the equivalent Nikon offering would offer any significant improvement. Hand held at that much of a crop there's not much to complain about I'd say.