Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Thinking about getting the T3i?

Real Name
    kristin

Thinking about getting the T3i?

I'm getting my first DSLR, transferring from film. If you've used the t3i (or a t2i/t1i), any advice or info i could use?

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: Thinking about getting the T3i?

I believe any among the 3 is a very good Canon camera to start with. If money is of no objection go with the latest (the T3i) so you can grow with it longer. Mine is antique than any of these 3 but still works OK for me since I'm still starting on digital photography.

Real Name
    Abhi

Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    Mine is antique than any of these 3 but still works OK for me since I'm still starting on digital photography.
    Slightly off-topic, but what do you own, Jiro. I have a 300D that's working for me

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by abhi View Post
    Slightly off-topic, but what do you own, Jiro. I have a 300D that's working for me
    A Nikon D70 (2004 model).

Real Name
    Pui Yun

I have the T2i (given to me as a gift), and I think that the T3i is definitely a great upgrade and would recommend it over the T2i any day (has things like wireless flash control, articulating screen, etc...).

However, I would also recommend looking at the next model up to see if the feature are worth the price difference. Based on the specs of the 60D, what you gain for an extra $200 US (at B&H):
    1. Pentaprism vs Pentamirror(T3i) - the pentaprism allows you to get a much brighter picture in your viewfinder (I find that in low light conditions, there are times that I didn't focus properly and this would help you to realize this).
    2. Larger capacity battery - you can take more picture on one charge of the battery
    3. Faster fps - 5.3fps vs 3.7fps(T3i)
    4. 9 cross-type autofocus points on the 60D - more sensitive autofocus system
    5. Better sealing (honestly, you probably won't care about this too much).
    6. I also heard that the t3i is missing manual audio level control, but I'm not sure about this.

Hope this helps!
    P.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Pui Yun View Post
    However, I would also recommend looking at the next model up to see if the feature are worth the price difference. Based on the specs of the 60D, what you gain for an extra $200 US (at B&H):
    1. Pentaprism vs Pentamirror(T3i) - the pentaprism allows you to get a much brighter picture in your viewfinder (I find that in low light conditions, there are times that I didn't focus properly and this would help you to realize this).
    2. Larger capacity battery - you can take more picture on one charge of the battery
    3. Faster fps - 5.3fps vs 3.7fps(T3i)
    4. 9 cross-type autofocus points on the 60D - more sensitive autofocus system
    5. Better sealing (honestly, you probably won't care about this too much).
    6. I also heard that the t3i is missing manual audio level control, but I'm not sure about this.
    Add to that ...

7. Better build quality
    8. Longer shutter life
    9. Better ergonomics, including a QCD (Quick Control Dial) that saves you having to push buttons a zillion times to change modes/settings (which you'll do a LOT!)
    10. Slightly bigger / more substantial to hold on to.

Real Name
    Pui Yun

Thanks Colin,
    I had forgotten about the better ergonomics and the other stuff and once again, I have camera envy.

One of these days, I will convince the wife that I want (*cough* need) a 5Dm2 or hopefully 5Dm3 (if they are available by then) :P. But first I have to get some L lenses (still trying to decide between a 24-70 L f/2.8 and a 24-105 L f/4 for my first L lens - if only the 24-70 had IS or the 24-105 was a f/2.8).
    P.

Real Name
    kristin

Thanks everybody, the input is greatly appreciated

I think I want to go with the 60D, given the only minor price difference with the advantage of a pentaprism and the QCD. Thanks again!

Real Name
    Richard

Canon (and of course Nikon, and others) are producing wonderfully capable cameras at what, compared to some of the first DSLR cameras, seem like bargain basement prices. Some of the original DSLR cameras cost piles of money and really had pretty low capability. Canon came out with the first sub-thousand (U.S. Dollar) DSLR/lens combination with the 300D and 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 lens. The story since then has been increased capability at relatively lower costs from all the manufacturers. As today's standard desktop computers have more capability than multi-million dollar mainframe computers of not that long ago; the T2i and T3i cameras have far better capability than the DSLR cameras of twenty or so years ago which cost in the tens of thousands of dollars.

I totally agree that the larger cousins in the Canon 1.6x family (60D and the 7D) are the better choices because of their control system, brighter viewfinders and general overall ergonomics...

HOWEVER, if money is scarce... The T2i or T3i and a better lens, such as a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 (series) would provide better image quality than the more expensive cameras mounting lesser lenses.

I have been shooting with a pair of older 1.6x cameras for years (30D and 40D) but have excellent lenses (17-55mm f/2.8 IS and 70-200mm f/4L IS) on these older cameras. My imagery has been excellent with this combination.

IMO, it is the quality of the lenses that are the major factor in achieving decent image quality. I would choose a combination of lesser camera and better lens any day over a better camera and lesser lens.

BTW: To Abhi and Jiro; I will do you one better regarding older cameras. I still use a Canon D60 (not the present 60D) which has been modified for full time IR work. The image quality from this old (ancient in terms of digital photography) camera is really quite decent...

Thinking about getting the T3i?
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 15th April 2011 at 02:15 PM.

Real Name

That was a cool IR shot, Richard. I have heard great stories of photographers modifying their old dslr's to be converted for IR photography. Maybe, if I can buy one more D70 body I could do the mod in the future. Thanks for sharing!