Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: For Mr 'Donald" Old Machineryfrom Chateau Tahbilk

Real Name
    Ken Outch

For Mr 'Donald" Old Machineryfrom Chateau Tahbilk

Visited one of Oz's oldest wineries, dating back to early 1800's, yesterday. Not far from our place. Many of original buildings are still in active use.They have a display of old equipment previously used in the early days. Okay, so no tractors in it. But thought Mr D. might like to see a sample.
    Also took opportunity to try out wide lens after taking Donald's advice and doing some background Google and CIC reading.
    As an aside, Chateau Tahbilk has the oldest stand of shiraz grapes still in commercial production in the world. And, of course, a bottle of wine pressed from said grapes also costs the world. Well out of the range of the contents of my money box!
    K

For Mr 'Donald"  Old Machineryfrom Chateau Tahbilk

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: For Mr 'Donald" Old Machineryfrom Chateau Tahbilk

Ken

I am am honoured. Just did a quick search (wine being my other hobby). One review I saw of the 2001 Shiraz Chateau Tahbilk said:"Spicy, leathery, old fashioned full flavoured Aussie Shiraz. This style has recently gone out of fashion in some quarters, but to my mind offers the pure expression of this variety in Australia. Class".

So far as I can recollect, I've never tasted it. I think, however, it might be a bit 'big' for my palate. But that, like appreciation of photographs, all comes down to a matter of personal taste. You can still appreciate that what's in the bottle is a very fine wine, masterfully made ... and not be keen on it as a drink yourself.
    Last edited by Donald; 14th April 2011 at 07:23 AM.

I prefer Irish Wine (Guinness) and have always found most grape wines to be a bit sharp for my taste. Although a long time ago I used to make wine from vegetables and flowers in the old 'country style' which is very sweet to modern tastes.

Anyway, some interesting farm machinery there.

Hi, K! This looks like a fun place to visit. I think that I remember a similar discussion of wine a few months ago with Raylee (Camellia) who is, also, from Australia.

I wonder if you could play with the post processing a little to bring out the texture of the rust and metal on the machines (also, the spiderwebs), which tell such a story of age and having been useful that makes these machines so beautiful, still. I'm sorry, though, that I don't know the photoshop vernacular to tell you what to do. For me, being more used to silly iphoto, it's like understanding a language but not able to speak it when others talk about pp, around here.

Your new signature is depressing me, though. It sounds waaaaay too adult and weighted down! Although, if it helps - it helps!

P.S. I love the Kangaroo but never got around to telling you. Keep shooting!