Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Gig Rowers

Gig Rowers

This was a bit of an experiment with my Sigma 150-500 lens, shot around 400 to 500 mm. 40D.

I used shutter priority at 1/000 and ISO at 800, which gave me apertures around F8 to F11. I don't like going wider than F8 with this lens. AI servo seemed to work best, evaluative metering with the occasional minus compensation, centre focusing point only.

I also experimented with the OS on and off because there is a theory that beyond approx 1/800 lenses work better without stabilisation. I didn't really find much difference either way, but focus was definitely quicker without it.

The low angle morning light was coming at 90 degrees and I was handholding while standing on the quayside, so I couldn't change my shooting angle. I have done some cropping to these images.

Some shots worked reasonably well.

Gig Rowers

While I experienced a bit of blur from various causes on some photos.

Gig Rowers

If it had been a serious shoot, I would probably have played safe and added a 1.4x to my 70-200 F4 IS then cropped a bit tighter.

I think that next time I may use a tripod very loosely to give a little bit of extra support. But this was just a bit of fun and experimentation.
    Last edited by Geoff F; 13th April 2011 at 08:21 PM. Reason: photo added

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Gig Rowers

That seems ot be a good performance from that lens. Started one of those nagging itches about whether I need something longer than 200!

Re: Gig Rowers

I have had good results with that lens, Donald, but there are a few restrictions if you want optimum performance.

It is basically a good light lens and works best around F8 to F11. Auto focus is a bit on the slow side.

I normally use it with a tripod although the OS stabilisation does work well.

But when you start thinking about longer lenses there are so many, and mostly expensive, choices available.