Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: What is the best way to protect paper prints?

Real Name
    Steve

What is the best way to protect paper prints?

So you have done everything and are admiring your print and it accidentally gets wet. What is the best method to protect it without diminishing quality too much?

I had some smudge resistant HP 5 star 280gsm gloss paper, and printed using genuine Canon ink, after a couple of weeks thought I would see if it really was smudge resistant, applied a little moisture and rubbed my thumb over it to find a different colour underneath.

So it isn't.

Real Name
    That is my real name.

Re: What is the best way to protect paper prints?

Hi Steve,

Moisture is the enemy (as well as direct sunlight) as far as inkjet prints are concerned. The best way to protect paper prints from moisture is to frame them behind glass. And you need space between the glass and the print - which is what the mat is all about (besides esthetics).

If HP says it's smudge resistant - they are probably referring to when they tested it using an HP printer and HP inks.

Hope that helps!

Real Name
    Steve

Cheers Jo; I was thinking more in terms of spraying it with something. A printer showed me a rag print she had done and made waterproof; proving it by spraying and wiping with a cloth. I just wondered if something existed for paper, or do I have to laminate prints I expect to be handled a lot, as in a contest.

Real Name
    That is my real name.

Hi Steve,

Oh I get you. Okay. There are all kinds of protective sprays on the market for inkjet prints. Usually they say they protect against moisture/humidity - and also uv rays, scuffing (especially for matte papers), etc. Some are specific to paper manufacturer or particular printer inks, some are more 'generic'. I often use Krylon brand - don't know if you can get that in the UK though. A google search might help you find some options there.

Good luck!

Real Name
    Steve

Cheers Jo.