Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: New Toy

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

New Toy

It's not always convenient to lug a few kilos of camera bag about, particularly when one likes to have a camera handy at all times. Decided to buy myself a new compact and settled on the Olympus XZ1. Initial impressions are very favorable. It's a sensible size and a good weight, and as for that f1.8 lens!! Watch this space.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: New Toy

Quote Originally Posted by Clactonian View Post
    Watch this space.
    We will. We will. Have fun.

Just off to Warehouse Express to have a look at the spec on that!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Mmm! Interesting!

I always trust Warehouse Express and have found them excellent. They tend to recommend something that should go with whatever it is you have looked up; e.g. a UV for a lens etc. All a sales pitch of course.

However, this case I think they've got a bit cheeky and pushed a bit too far. They're recommending you buy a Manfrotto 055XPROB tripod for the Olympus. Now, by any stretch of the imagination, the camera does not need something from the 055 range. Maybe the 190 range if your really wanted. Naughty Warehouse Express. But I will still buy from there!

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

I bought mine via Amazon Donald, which was the cheapest option.

First pic here is of a 2.5" ornament. Hand held, ISO 100, 1/60 @f1.8, macro mode.

New Toy

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

I had a good chance to try out the XZ1 in France last week. I'm very pleased with its portability, and myriad of adjustments, but even with a very good rear screen do miss a viewfinder. I did look at a pal's G12 before getting the Olympus, but this was too bulky for my requirements and he has given up using the viewfinder which he says is far too inaccurate.
    The F1.8 lens on the XZ1 is a big bonus.

New Toy

Hotel de Ville, St Omer
    Cropped slightly, a little selective unsharp mask to boost contrast, TV aerial cloned out.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Nice work, Mike. Lovely detail.

France - aaaaaaahhh. June 8th - getting close.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Nice work, Mike. Lovely detail.

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I'm afraid I have to go back in again in a couple of weeks or so ... it's a hard life. Roll on retirement!!
    Are you going somewhere interesting Donald?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Clactonian View Post
    I'm afraid I have to go back in again in a couple of weeks or so ... it's a hard life. Roll on retirement!!
    Are you going somewhere interesting Donald?
    Spending the first 3 days on the Somme battlefield. The the last 3 days in Belgium in a B & B just about 500 yards ,as best as I can work it out, from where my partner's grandfather won his Military Cross on 12 October 1917.

For the two weeks in between we've got a cottage in Beujolais, near the top left hand corner of Morgon, just at the point where Morgon and Chiroubles meet, just along from Fleurie. Guess what I'm doing for two weeks? We're staying in the cottage of Andre Collonge, so I'm hoping to get into the vineyard with the camera.

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

The perfect balance Donald.
    I haven't been to Beaujolais since my last 'run' to collect the 'nouveau' about 20 years ago. Mind you I wasn't too far away near Chalon sur Saone last year (about 50 miles). Going back again later this year and planning to stay in Meursault. It's very picturesque if you can drag yourself away from the glass and get the camera out.
    The Somme and Belgium battlefields are very moving. You can barely drive a few hundred yards without coming across a few well tended graves and a memorial stone.
    If we don't mention it again, have a great time and take plenty of memory.

Real Name
    Kathy

Just out of curiosity, what were the reasons for going with the Oly XZ-1 over the Samsung TL500 or Nikon P300?

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

Quote Originally Posted by inkista View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what were the reasons for going with the Oly XZ-1 over the Samsung TL500 or Nikon P300?
    I wanted a fast lens plus raw, which ruled out the Nikon. It was then down to the reviews which seem to favour the Olympus, and which is also just that bit more compact not having the moveable rear screen.
    I'm not disappointed, far from it, but the lack of viewfinder does take some getting used to after using SLRs for years.