Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM OR EF-S17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM

EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM OR EF-S17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM

Hi guys

I'm currently using Canon 60D. I been wanted to get a good lens for walk around shot which i dun need to keep changing lens for shots..

Been aiming and narrow it down to this two range
    EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM
    EF-S17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM

But i can't make up my mind which to buy.
    Could some1 gv me some good advise for this 2 lens

I have two lens now which is 18-200mm F3.5/5.6 IS " quite good but i hate the focusing "
    50mm F1.4 USM " Love this lens good for my portrait contrast is nice too "

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM OR EF-S17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM

Hello and welcome to CiC. Glad you've decided to join us. You can edit your profile and insert your proper name under Real Name, so that it shows up alongside all your posts. You will have seen that we tend to go with proper names on here.

As to your question, if you do a search around the site, I think you will find that a great many people consider the 24-105 to be an excellent all-round lens. It is, of course, also an 'L'.
    Last edited by Donald; 13th April 2011 at 07:28 AM.

Re: EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM OR EF-S17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM

In reality, there is quite a bit of difference between those 2 lens sizes so my first suggestion would be to have a good think about exactly what you will be photographing.

The 2.8 may be a little better in poor light but you will lose quite a lot of length from the larger end, if that is what you need.

The 24-105 L was 'designed' for full frame cameras so that will make it more of a mid length lens on a 60D.

I find it to be an adequate all round lens. Probably not quite so sharp as the 70-200 but a lot better than the basic 'kit' lenses.

As an alternative, just to add a bit of confusion. A friend recently purchased a 60D and I suggested that he also considered the Canon 15-85 IS lens. I haven't used that lens, but he is delighted with the results.