Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Spring fancy

up on a knob above Paden City, West Virginia
    Real Name
    Marie Hass

Spring fancy

Hello all,

Life is very exciting up here on the mountain. I got a new computer (no more laptop!) and CS5. I have a huge learning curve ahead of me. Hughesnet is coming tomorrow, so no more dial-up either! Here is one of my first projects. I am learning how to create frames with cropping, layers and brush presets.

I also manipulated this image with curves and artistic effects (colored pencil). Your C&C are as always, encouraged.

Spring fancy

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Spring fancy

Marie

Delighted to hear of all the technological advances happening up there.

As for the image, I like what you've done. There's a lovely balance in the colours.

There is one thing, however, that's throwing me. And it's all about how we process information. Clearly the lower part of the image is a reflection. But because I can't see the reflective plane; i.e. the surface causing the reflection, I'm wanting/needing the reflection to be al on the same line. (What is he on about ...?)

The line through which the reflection of the flowers and vase begins is in one place. The line through which the object at the left hand side begins is in another place - further up the frame. They are not on the same line. It is perceived as further up rather than behind because I don't have 3D information to help me process the information. I'm very much being offered a 2-dimensional place.

Now, my brain tells me the latter is behind the former in 'real life' on, say, a table. But because I can't see that, my eye is throwing my brain off.

If you carry the line of reflection from the flowers/vase through to the left edge of the frame, that's where I expect to see that other object reflected, not further up the frame.

If none of that made sense, just ignore me!
    Last edited by Donald; 13th April 2011 at 07:35 AM.

Real Name
    Marie Hass

Thank you Donald for responding to my post.

To avoid further confusion, here is the unedited daffodil image. And, seeing it, would you please clarify your commentary?

Spring fancy

I have nothing but the greatest respect for your astute observations. Thank you, thank you, thank you for taking the time to critique my offerings. I apologise for not responding sooner. My life has been hectic these past few days.

Marie

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Marie

Sorry if my remarks were not explained clearly. I realised as I was writing them that I might have been better illustrating what I meant rather than trying to describe it.

The image has what I would describe as two planes of reflection. I have drawn these on the copy below. Because I have no other visual reference to help me understand what is going on, my brain finds it difficult to process the information.

This leads to the question as to why you need to include the object that is being reflected at the back left-hand side?

Spring fancy

Real Name
    Marie Hass

Thank you Donald, for taking the time to reply. What you are seeing is the stem of the daffodil. It does disappear into the background. I see the 2 planes to which you are referring. Would I rectify the situation by getting rid of just the stem?

A few technical questions. Is there a "rule" for composing still lifes? For example, when one photographs flowers in a container, does one place a few out of the vase at the base? If you do this, how much do you offset the one(s) on the table from the ones in the vase? How do you arrange and angle your display? Would I have been better served to show only the vase with flowers in it? I tried it that way, and then I thought there was too much dead space at the bottom .

So, back to you. Would this have been better if I had not placed the flowers on the mirror? How would you have shot this?

Again, thank you for taking the time to teach me all of this.

Marie

Real Name
    Chris

YOu might want to diminish the overall reflective value so when you so your conversion, you don't have the same overall value across the board. What you are missing is a clear line of demarcation between the vase, flower arangement and the reflection.

Such as: (and perhaps even more.

Spring fancy

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Marie Hass View Post
    So, back to you. Would this have been better if I had not placed the flowers on the mirror? How would you have shot this?
    Marie

I think there are two options:

1. What you have suggested - removing the stem from the background
    2. What Chris has suggested

I think you could follow either route. It would be a matter of choice for you. Always remember - there is no 'right' and no 'wrong'. You are producing an artwork. So it is for you to decide how it shall appear.
    Last edited by Donald; 15th April 2011 at 02:59 PM.

Real Name
    Marie Hass

Thank you Donald and Chris. I am very new to all this, and I know I do ask a lot of "why's". I hope you indulge me and not mind all of the questions. As an exercise, I will redo the picture. Chris, around here, I don't know where I can find black plexiglass.......

As always, Marie

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I hope you indulge me and not mind all of the questions.
    That's what CiC is about. Keep asking.

Real Name
    Pops

Thank you Donald and Chris. I am very new to all this, and I know I do ask a lot of "why's". I hope you indulge me and not mind all of the questions. As an exercise, I will redo the picture. Chris, around here, I don't know where I can find black plexiglass.......

As always, Marie
    Marie, back in the late 40, early 50s, I was working on one of my photographs down in Bill Belknap's darkroom. When I would get one done, I'd take it up to him for evaluation. He would drop it face down on the counter and ask me, "Do you have it the way you want it?" I'd shake my head and trot myself back to the darkroom and enlarger.

When I finally got one that I liked, I nodded when he asked if I had what I wanted. Then he turned over my latest effort and began to critique it. He began by saying, "This is your picture and you like it. Therefore, it is done correctly. Al I can do is talk about what I would have done, had I taken the picture."

That is when I learned about "right" and "wrong" in the art of presenting photographs as pictures. As Donald states above, there is no right or wrong, once you have what you want to present. You will get comments and ideas from us, based on what WE see as the picture. Take those comments and ideas and use them as you like, but please don't try to convert your art into ours. Your art is what is important. I don't like Andy Warhol's art, but I'd sure like to have his bank account.

Pops

Real Name
    Marie Hass

Quote Originally Posted by PopsPhotos View Post
    That is when I learned about "right" and "wrong" in the art of presenting photographs as pictures. As Donald states above, there is no right or wrong, once you have what you want to present. You will get comments and ideas from us, based on what WE see as the picture. Take those comments and ideas and use them as you like, but please don't try to convert your art into ours. Your art is what is important. I don't like Andy Warhol's art, but I'd sure like to have his bank account.

Pops
    Thanks, Pops for the encouragement. I was remiss in checking my responses. BTW, I'd like to have Andy Warhol's bank account, too.