Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Just got a great invite from the owner of "Daytona"

Real Name
    Chris

Just got a great invite from the owner of "Daytona"

All the boats in that row are long-line commercial fishing vessels. The owner of the fleet, is coincidently the owner of the Daytona. I took him a copy, and as I told him, it was pennace for trespassing. Long story short, he really liked the photo.

This morning, I got an email from him asking if I would like to accompany he and his crew for a three-day fishing run after school lets out and that he would pay me to do a thorough photo journal of the trip. Of course, I said yes. Now, the questions.

I am thinking my 50mm and very possibly the kit 18-105 lens (I shot all my air show pics with it), but I am also thinking a good wide angle for all the tight quarter stuff. a 35mm prime would probably do the trick, but it is out of my price range right now....and would really like the 12-24 but like the 35, out of my pricing range right now.

I need some good suggestions. The 18 part of the 18-105 is okay, but it is a slow lens and would require a higher ISO...I generally like to shoot 100-200 ISO but I am told on the boats, a lot of work is done at night or early am. With that in mind, I will probably get a speedlite but not sure on that model either...any help there would be twice as much knowledge as I have right now.

If anyone has done such an event, anything you could share would be graicously appreciated.

Real Name
    Bill S

Re: Just got a great invite from the owner of "Daytona"

Chris,

One word of advice for you.

Rent.

- Bill

Real Name
    Chris

There isn't a rental place within 300 miles of where I live.

Real Name
    Bill S

There are plenty of rental places that will ship to you.

Though I have to be honest and admit that I've never used one before. But that is the advice I've received from multiple places when looking to buy a new lens. Figured it was worth passing on.

The other piece of advice is the route I normally go... research the heck out of it, debate and debate until the last possible minute, then put it on the credit card. That's what I did with the $6k purchase of gear to take my 7D underwater in Indonesia a few months ago.

Either way, you make sure you have the gear you need for those 'once in a lifetime' opportunities.

- Bill

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Don't forget plenty of cards and batteries (but I know you know that already).

Working in that confined space, I'd agree something like the 12-24 could bring benefit. Can't advise on rental though.

Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by MiniChris View Post
    There isn't a rental place within 300 miles of where I live.
    No rental place and no Ben and Jerry's.

Real Name
    Chris

I have a slew of cards (2-8gb and 6-4gb), but have to buy at least one or two more back-up batteries. Of course, the D7000 takes a completely different battery than any of the other Nikons, so will have to make all new purchases.

Bill: I will look into the rental idea, though, honestly, I have been eyeballing a 12-24 or 10-20 for quite sometime...even intrigued with the 35mm prime.

Real Name
    Martyn

all depends on what they are fishing for, marlin ? nice long lens, maybe not marlin tho, go for a wide angle to show what its like on board,defo take a tripod for night photo's, a cheap sb600 will suffice for any flash shots that you may want to carry out,
    your 50mm is a "human eyes view of the world"
    just try and remember its mainly about capturing a photo journal, plenty of black and white, sarwesters strewn by the southern seas,.winds blowing ,close ups of the catch being sorted, etc etc,
    its a chance in a lifetime, you can do it chris, cheers martyn

Chris
    For the extra battery try Amazon, it's not Nikon but works fine to me .
    Have you look at this ??
    http://prophotorental.com/Default.asp?c=12260

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by nomadr View Post
    all depends on what they are fishing for, marlin ? nice long lens, maybe not marlin tho, go for a wide angle to show what its like on board,defo take a tripod for night photo's, a cheap sb600 will suffice for any flash shots that you may want to carry out,
    your 50mm is a "human eyes view of the world"
    just try and remember its mainly about capturing a photo journal, plenty of black and white, sarwesters strewn by the southern seas,.winds blowing ,close ups of the catch being sorted, etc etc,
    its a chance in a lifetime, you can do it chris, cheers martyn
    these are longliners...no marlin or other big fish sans the occasional monster tuna. I was thinking more along the lines of a monopod but may rethink back to the tripod. If I went for the more expensive flash, what would you recommend?

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by thienthu View Post
    Chris
    For the extra battery try Amazon, it's not Nikon but works fine to me .
    Have you look at this ??
    http://prophotorental.com/Default.asp?c=12260
    Looks like a good rental site...and they have exactly what I want. Thanks for the link!

up on a knob above Paden City, West Virginia
    Real Name
    Marie Hass

Chris - also check out

lensrentals.com

Some of the pros I know have used them and are quite pleased.

And try Radioshack for your extra battery. You may be able to order what you need. I got an extra battery from them for a reasonable price, no cost for shipping.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

If your going for a flash and can stretch the budget, then I would suggest the 580 EX II. You're going to get more power and, ultimately, more versatility.
    Last edited by Donald; 13th April 2011 at 08:18 AM.

Real Name
    Dr Nasseem Michael Malouf

Chris. I envy you. These dont come around often. I have no doubt you will will excel. Just do your homework. Ask the questions about the trip and what you are likely to be photographing most. I am sure you will need a fast wide angle lens and definitely a 580EX2. Rent or buy but be prepared with backup plans. Just some advice from a novice.

Nasseem

Real Name
    Peter

Lots of advice already, so I'll stick to anti-seasickness pills.

580EX2
    How compatible is that with a Nikon camera? That aside with potential for bright sunlight and incidental light from water I would say flash is advisable for fill. I just know someone is going to write me a long response about compatibility of Canon speedlites with Nikon bodies

Sounds like a great gig Chris. Good luck and most of all relax and enjoy yourself...it will show in your photos

Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

It does sound like a great gig... is there room for one more?

Real Name
    Chris

Just got the extra batteries (I needed more for my summer trip, anyway) and a friend has a very good speelite I can borrow, and I think I am just going to stick with the lenses I have along with a wide angle 12-24, I just bought from the same friend with the flash.

My doctor is prescribing dramamine patches, the same kind I make passengers in the Mini wear when I am doing the "Midnight on the Dragon" run...

Afraid there is no more room - I think as it is some poor guy is going to have to sleep in a hammock up deck for me to go and those berths are right narrow...though, hmmmm....nevermind.

Real Name
    Paul

Great invite, should be an adventure and a lot of fun.

If possible, I'd also take a macro. There is likely to be some great close up detail shots when the action is done.