Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Wooden Bridge

Real Name
    Christopher Hotton

Wooden Bridge

Having seen some excellent mono images on this site I decided it was time for me to start experimenting. This was a colour shot that I took recently where I had huge problems getting the colours right, so I converted it to black & white and did the initial edit in Camera Raw and finished it off in Photoshop CS4.

This image was taken with a Canon EF70-300 mm lens, which I had been having some difficulty with getting pin sharp images.

Wooden Bridge

Shutter Speed: 1/250 Aperture: f/5.6 ISO 100
    Last edited by ChrisH; 12th April 2011 at 03:02 PM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Wooden Bridge

Chris

My first reaction on opening this was in relation to the composition.

I can see the idea of the path in the foreground leading us onto the bridge. But, in comparison with what's happening at the top of the image (and what else could be happening if we saw a bit more at the top), the path and the grass on each side of it is, well, boring. For me the picture 'starts' as we go onto the bridge.

So, I don't know if you cropped at the top and have anything that could be brought back in a re-worked version - cropping at the bottom just a few mms below that lip up onto the bridge. Just a thought.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

The idea of the shot is nice. I think what made it look ordinary is the selection of the lens used. Telephoto lens (if this was taken above 100mm) tends to lose that depth of field making everything look like a squeezed perspective. That is flattering for portraiture but a bit hard to use for landscape of scenery. I am inclining to think of using a wide lens like a 28mm or 35mm for this kind of subject to create more depth of field. Just a thought, Chris.

Real Name
    Christopher Hotton

Image replaced to reflect comments. It is only put forward as a test shot for B and w conversion and to try and get some form of sharpness with the telephoto lens.

That 70-300 lens, Chris, is a reasonable piece of kit for the price but it obviously isn't in the same league as the 'L' range; which are more than twice the price.

Like many lenses, it tends to be sharpest around the F8 to F11 range. And at 300 I would prefer to use a tripod or relatively fast shutter speed, even with it being an IS lens.

With that scene, I think that you were bound to have some problems with a B&W image. As previously mentioned there are too many strong areas of conflicting interest and similar tones. Some photos work well in B&W while others will always be a struggle.

Real Name
    Christopher Hotton

Thanks Geoff - I fear the lens is just going to have to go. I like to shoot motor racing, especially Formula One, where I thought the double setting IS would be ideal but it has been disappointing.

Well for motor racing, and an unlimited budget, would the 70-200 IS 2.8 have sufficient length?

I have mostly replaced my 70-300 with the F 4 version of the 70-200 IS which I find to be a lot sharper; but a lot more expensive!

However, I took some reasonable shots with the 70-300 and still have it on my old 10D for rough use shots where I am frightened to use anything decent.