Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Nelson Haven

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Nelson Haven

Shot at sunset tonight. Canon 1Ds3 + EF24-70mm F2.8L USM @ 24mm. 1/30th @ F11 @ 100 ISO. Click on image for 1500px version (recommended).

Hope you enjoy!

Nelson Haven

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Nelson Haven

Simply outstanding. Even the birds organised themselves into a nice pattern. Masterful image making.

This is so beautiful, Colin! I swear that I could hear a seagull, a lap of water and a line banging on a hollow mast. It's been really great to see you posting again, the last several weeks.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Simply outstanding. Even the birds organised themselves into a nice pattern. Masterful image making.
    Thanks Donald,

I'm going to need to get my neck support out again if my head swells anymore

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Noelle View Post
    This is so beautiful, Colin! I swear that I could hear a seagull, a lap of water and a line banging on a hollow mast. It's been really great to see you posting again, the last several weeks.
    Thanks Katy,

Actually, there WAS a seagul making noises on a pole right next to me - I was a bit nervous as there were a few old bird droppings right next to me too! I often hear lines slapping when the wind is blowing, but thankfully this was a calm day.

I haven't really gone anywhere the past couple of weeks -- I just get a bit busy at times. I spent the day working on the big boat you can see to the right of the shot ... and there are another 2 boats tucked in behind it that I also need to do things on (plus a raft of other stuff) so still pretty busy right now, but never too busy for my CiC friends

Colin, the water is unbelievable. It flows off the screen (and no fluffiness). The colours are pretty amazing too. Now, you know I will have to find something and it is probably a very personal view - but I am not sure that the angle needs to be so wide for this scene. I am left feeling that the left 1/4 is surplus to requirements. It also introduced quite a sharp knife point intrusion that is at odds with the tranquility of the rest of the water in that area. That observation does however pale to insignificance when taking account of the overall quality of the image. Outstanding image and great to see you back on this sort of stuff.
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 12th April 2011 at 07:53 PM.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    Colin, the water is unbelievable. It flows off the screen (and no fluffiness). The colours are pretty amazing too. Now, you know I will have to find something and it is probably a very personal view - but I am not sure that the angle needs to be so wide for this scene. I am left feeling that the left 1/4 is surplus to requirements. It also introduced quite a sharp knife point intrusion that is at odds with the tranquility of the rest of the water in that area. That observation does however pale to insignificance when taking account of the overall quality of the image. Outstanding image and great to see you back on this sort of stuff.
    Hi Steve,

Thanks for the kind words

With no wind, water in the haven settles into a perfect mirror ... but at this time of day there's are always a few boats returning to the launching ramp which stir up the water a bit eg ...

Nelson Haven

With regards to your suggested crop ... I agree that the left hand quarter doesn't contribute a lot to the image ... but I left it there because it DOES contribute to the aspect ratio of the image ... and I find that images like this look better the more "panoramic" they are, so that's why I left it.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

"Ooooh, very nice" - that's what I said to myself (on opening the first one).

I agree with your reasons for the aspect ratio choice too.

The second is just a tad too cramped along the top edge for me I'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Hi Steve,

Thanks for the kind words

With no wind, water in the haven settles into a perfect mirror ... but at this time of day there's are always a few boats returning to the launching ramp which stir up the water a bit eg ...

Nelson Haven
    Causing those lines to slap on the empty masts.... That's why I heard it - that time of day. Oh, I miss it soooooo much!

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    "Ooooh, very nice" - that's what I said to myself (on opening the first one).

I agree with your reasons for the aspect ratio choice too.

The second is just a tad too cramped along the top edge for me I'm afraid.
    Hi Dave,

Thanks for the kind words.

Don't give the 2nd shot a 2nd thought - it's just a "bycatch/throwaway" to show Steve the water state once a boat goes by.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Noelle View Post
    Causing those lines to slap on the empty masts.... That's why I heard it - that time of day. Oh, I miss it soooooo much!
    Oh well - if you're ever down this way I'll park you up at the studio & you can listen to them all day if it's windy!

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Oh well - if you're ever down this way I'll park you up at the studio & you can listen to them all day if it's windy!
    I'm just hastily packing my bags.... Get.me.to.the.OCEAN! (I'm "blowing my bangs" with exasperation.) Besides, I want to take a turn with my camera there! Some nice fluffy water and colorful sunsets.... Oh, hmmmm, maybe that's why I'm appreciating these so much - completely not typical but very clean and salty.