Thread: Still researching - Nikon vs Canon

Real Name
    Bud Ralston

Still researching - Nikon vs Canon

I'm now trying to compare Nikon D300S against Canon EOS 7D. Obviously a megapixel difference. Prices are the same. I'll be buying pro level lenses for whatever I buy. Any comments/suggestions?

Thanks,
    Bud

Real Name
    Kathy

Re: Still researching - Nikon vs Canon

In your other thread, you said wildlife, landscape, and surfing are your three main subjects, right?

I say go with Canon for the telephoto lens selection. While both cameras are outstanding and fully capable of everything you want to shoot, the lens you're mostly likely to be looking at for the wildlife/surfing shooting is the EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS USM. The Nikon "analog" to this is the Nikkor 80-400 f/4.5-5.6D VR, which is NOT an AF-S lens. AF-S/USM means the lens has a very fast and silent autofocus motor in it. That means the 100-400 IS autofocuses pretty quickly compared to the 80-400 VR. (They're both around $1700).

And the 100-400 is optically better than the Sigma equivalent lens (although the Sigma costs less).

Nikon does make a the 200-400 f/4G which is VR and AF-S. But it's $6000.

Sometimes it's not about the cameras. It's about the lenses.

Real Name
    Bud Ralston

Inksta: Thanks for the info. Good thoughts. Any suggestions on a Canon pro quality wide angle zoom?
    Mahalo,
    Bud

Real Name
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by kaneohebud View Post
    Inksta: Thanks for the info. Good thoughts. Any suggestions on a Canon pro quality wide angle zoom?
    And that's where Canon is very good, but Nikon is great. The two most likely suggestions on the Canon side are the EF 17-40 f/4L USM and the EF 16-35 f/2.8L USM (ultrawide on a full-frame, and wide on a crop), but neither one can hold a candle to the Nikkor 14-24 f/2.8G.

If landscapes are your main thing, then Nikon (or even possibly Sony) might be a better call.

Real Name
    John

Find a friend who has a Nikon or Canon and borrow their camera. It doesn't matter right now if it matches the model you want, just try it out. Since you are going for a pro model you obviously have some experience with cameras so what you are really comparing is the feel of the equipment.

Real Name
    Bud Ralston

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Find a friend who has a Nikon or Canon and borrow their camera. It doesn't matter right now if it matches the model you want, just try it out. Since you are going for a pro model you obviously have some experience with cameras so what you are really comparing is the feel of the equipment.
    That's good advice. Thankfully, we have a camera rental outfit in Honolulu that specializes in Nikon and Canon cameras and lenses so I will definitely test drive before I buy anything..

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Quote Originally Posted by kaneohebud View Post
    That's good advice. Thankfully, we have a camera rental outfit in Honolulu that specializes in Nikon and Canon cameras and lenses so I will definitely test drive before I buy anything..
    Case Solved! Next case please.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by inkista View Post
    And that's where Canon is very good, but Nikon is great. The two most likely suggestions on the Canon side are the EF 17-40 f/4L USM and the EF 16-35 f/2.8L USM (ultrawide on a full-frame, and wide on a crop), but neither one can hold a candle to the Nikkor 14-24 f/2.8G.

If landscapes are your main thing, then Nikon (or even possibly Sony) might be a better call.
    Hi Kathy,

Sorry, but I disagree.

In terms of the extra 2mm - in reality - wider ISN'T always better when it comes to landscape (for a variety of reasons - some of which I documented here in an article I wrote for Singh-Ray). It's very seldom that I EVER use 16mm, and I think I've only used 14mm once in the past 5 years or so. They're just too wide, which creates all sorts of problems with light fall off and vignetting - not to mention lack of detail. Personally, I'm usually shooting no wider than about 22mm (I think 14-24mm is somewhat of a bizarre range).

In terms of image quality, it's generally accepted that the Nikon model is slightly better - but again - this is something that can only be seen when pixel peeping at 100%, and not anything that has any real relevance in a real-world print.
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 11th April 2011 at 09:46 PM.

Real Name
    hashim

I like to shoot low-light scenes with minimal noise flash-free. What SLR and lens are most suitable in Canon and Nikon series?

Nikon D300, Nikon D700, Canon 5D Mark II, or others, and with what lens?

I like architecture, nature, portrait, and sometimes all purpose night shots. The main thing is shooting at high ISO and obtaining very low noise.
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 11th April 2011 at 10:23 PM.

Real Name
    hashim

I read some threads in shooting in lowlight (indoor) section and had good information from friend's questions and some answers and replies,but i still would be gratefull if you could advise me on a good camera-lens combination that would help me further in eliminating noise at lowlight without the use of flash and that would help a lot in redusing the bad effects of camera shake.(in both brands nikon,canon).rem:i have a nikon D100 and a nikon D200.I also asked about full frame d700,and canon 5dmark2.
    thanks a lot

Real Name
    Hans

The best way to eliminate noise in low light is to expose correctly. If possible adjust your exposure on the darker areas.
    This can be done with either Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sony...................etc.
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 12th April 2011 at 07:31 PM.

Real Name
    Steve

I aways say " it's whats infront of the camera, and whats behind it, that really counts."