Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Wonder if anyone has experience with Warranty issues and Nikon

Real Name
    Chris

Wonder if anyone has experience with Warranty issues and Nikon

I just got my D7000 back from Nikon repair where they did a total clean, fixed a hot pixel, cleaned the image sensor and did an electronics update...and all was ducky.so much that it shot better than it did the first day I opened the box. however, from the getgo with this camera, I've had image senor dust issues and we've corresponded back and forth until this last time when they "fixed" the issue. I didn't have any problems again until I did a long, mirror up exposure last night.

No Lens Change for this shot. And, it wasn't all that long. But now I have 5 spots that won't go away no matter how many clean sensor actions I do...I've called Nikon and they are sending free delivery labels for me to try once again.

My question is: At what point do we declare this sensor a lemon? Or, rather than going through several more renditions of this constant issue, do I request in writing they replace the sensor with a brand new one. My thinking behind this is that I think the spots are embedded in the sensor and not on the sensor cover. Perhaps shooting some high contrast shots causes these spots to "resurface" or something like that....I don't know, but it is frustrating to have a supposed top of the line product and have this much difficulty.

Any ideas, or previous experiences???

Wonder if anyone has experience with Warranty issues and Nikon

Real Name
    Steve

Re: Wonder if anyone has experience with Warranty issues and Nikon

Hi Chris,

My D90 went in for hot pixel remapping - one red one almost dead center. I'd had the camera for just over a year, so warranty was not an issue, but the sensor was dirty as hell and I thought the camera could stand a thorough cleaning. The end result was a clean sensor with the exception of one rather persistent dust bunny on the very left edge. I suspect that QC on the cleaning is less than stellar and, to be fair, my speck was only seen under certain circumstances. The next cleaning I have done will be in a local shop or I will do it myself. The irritating thing is that I believe my dust bunny is so persistent because the cleaning method they used fused the dust to the sensor enough to make the camera's cleaning ineffective. This is likely what you are experiencing as well.

The point of all this (if there is one) is that if it were me, I would not send the camera back to Nikon to clean the sensor, but would do it myself or have the local shop do it so I could check the job and be sure it was to my satisfaction. bythom.com has a rather good explanation of how to clean the sensor yourself, though I can't yet vouch for it from personal experience.

HTH

Real Name
    Chris

They're paying the shipping to and fro, and like yours, I think my issuees are embedded in the sensor itself, and not on the top cover plate (which, according to Nikon is all they really clean) The hot pixel is the same one I had last time, in the exact same spot. Who knows, perhaps they will do the right thing and give me a new sensor..if not, I'll turn the issue over to American Express and let them deal with it - and the AE dudes are bad dogs when it comes to taking care of warranty issues when you use their card for purchase.

If, according to them, this is really that rare of an issue, then they should do what is right...we'll see.

Real Name
    Robin

Quick question. Why are you dealing with Nikon?

Take it back to the store you bought it from and get it swapped there. Thats what I would have done from the start and its what I would do for any of my customers who have a major problem.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

For what it's worth ...

I used to be as excessively compulsive about sensor dust as I was about many other aspects of my photography, but these days I just don't let it bother me too much because I know it's a battle I just can't win. Same goes for hot spots.

On one hand I can understand how one would want it to be perfect ("having paid good money" etc), but then again, one may also be without one's camera for weeks on end (and possibly still not get the problem sorted) for an issue that probably isn't causing an operational issue.

Real Name
    Peter

Colin does have a point. On the one hand I would be very irritated if my new camera had these (persistent) issues, on the other hand being without the camera for weeks on end (and with all those fine lenses just laying around idly) would be pretty bad as well.
    It might be a good idea to get a written agreement on what is going to be fixed next time before you send the camera at all. Otherwise the AE heavies might have to provide help.

Real Name
    Chris

Best Buy won't deal with it....they have a built in disclaimer about warranty issues - so no more buying from them. But, as I stated above, they may not want to deal with me, but I can assure you, once American Express gets on their case, a new camera is probably in the making.

If it was a teeny hot spot, and only a few spots..perhaps not so worrisome, but the hot spot I have is about the size of a nickel on an 8 x 10 and almost dead square in the middle of the frame. Sometimes, trying to clone it out is close to impossible if it shows in a really busy area.

Real Name
    Steve

Warranty I live in Britain, land of registered spivs licensed to fleece money out of you. I got dust on my brand new sensor,; the seller always checks the camera in a mandatory dusty place, I have 5 years warranty and the answer I got was 'clean it yourself'.

Some sellers always honour warranties eg; high st shops, and others never do eg; online retailers, thinking of any reason not to. But not all High St retailers are good; since I asked one to check my camera, off came the lens with camera face up in a shop full of dusty customers. I said I wanted the sensor cleaning now and they said it couldn't possibly have got dirty, but if it is then it must already have been dirty.
    It was very dirty and I had to clean it and blow the mirror myself.

Real Name
    Martyn

one thing i would add, i got a hot spot on my d70s and i asked my supplier if it was covered under warranty ?
    no mate, hot pixels arent covered.
    so i rang nikon and they said yes mate, send it back and we sort it under warranty,