Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Fruit pile

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Fruit pile

Clue. 1 down: Oriental depots. ( 9 letters.)

For C&C re angle of framing shot, cropping and advice on any other photographic transgressions please.
    I was trying to bring out the colour and texture of the fruit, piled up in a haphazard but individually interconnected but receding orientation. Does this make sense? If, so, then 'please explain,' as the infamous Oz pollie Pauline Hansen would say. For as I re-read the above the term' utter cods wallop ucci' springs to my tiny brain. Yep, that's right! My single synapse is all systems go. For this weekend it is my turn to have exclusive use of the family's neuron.

Mustapha Newlens

Fruit pile

Fruit pile
    Last edited by ucci; 8th April 2011 at 11:03 PM.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: Fruit pile

If asked which among the 2, I would choose #1. The landscape mode seem to help the shot "a little bit". I think the direct straight flash effect hurt your shot the most, Ken. I would recommend an off camera flash. If not possible, a small light source like an ordinary table lamp would suffice and then do some magic on the white balance and exposure on the post-processiing. Show some more extra space on the background next time to help on the composition. Hope this helps.

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Hi Willie
    Yes, your advice does help, very much so. And I really am most grateful for your help, thank you.
    At the moment I only have the flash on the camera and will try a side light as you advise. The effect of the flash on the fruit did concern me. But I was unsure how to tackle the 'shine'. I was going to reach for a PS solution but reckoned I would have only made a botch of it.
    And as for cropping? Well, initially I was quite justifiably critiqued for my problem of under cropping extraneous backgrounds. And I guess I have possibly gone a little too far in response. Something for me to work on.
    Keep well and stay safe
    K

While you're fiddling with the light, maybe you could put the fruit (tangerines?) on or against something that would make the color pop. For example, do you have a blue plate? Blue cloth? Make the background have a purpose and keep it simple - even plain. It's great if it's not just a pic of fruit but what do you want to "say" with the fruit? i.e. Healthy - put it against white and give it lots of natural light. Still life/ artistic - put it on a gorgeous oriental/blue plate and make the background dark and moody. Oooo! I hope I haven't overtaxed your one neuron. Apologies to the family if I did. Too bad Rob Marshall isn't around - the things he has in his medicine cabinet work wonders on the brain.

So,....what lens IS it that you mustaph?

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Hi Katy
    Thank you for your help. Never gave a thought to adding background as you suggest. The blue sounds good. I like blue. Give the healthy bit a miss though; too old to change a life time of dissolute habits, with which I am quite comfortable!
    And the tangerines were, from my cross word clue of '1 down: Oriental Despots,' actually Mandarins, which we had just picked from one of our trees. But I take your point that one needs a clear message which one wishes to convey in setting up the scene. Jiro made this point to me a little while ago. Guess I am a slow learner and maybe that wasn't my week to be in charge of the family neuron!
    And what lenses do I lust after? Can you speed write? In fact I would like a good macro and a telephoto with some oomph. And those I would like cost nearly twice what I paid for my EOS1000D with a twin lens pack. I am hanging fire on these until, or if, I have learned enough to push my existing gear to the limit by improving my technique, with help from people such as you. That is of course providing I don't fall off my perch beforehand. With the way I am going I suspect the latter will be first cab off the rank.
    I did buy an EFS 10-22mm lens a couple of months ago. Now I just have to figure out why I did. Seemed like a great idea at the time and also made the salesman very happy. "There's one born every minute, " as Barnum of the Circus owning fraternity used to say. But I am having fun, learning heaps and enjoying this site and the great spirit of friendship shown by the members.
    Must go. Before I outstay my welcome.
    Cheers
    K

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by ucci View Post
    I did buy an EFS 10-22mm lens a couple of months ago. Now I just have to figure out why I did. Seemed like a great idea at the time and also made the salesman very happy.
    Ken

Don't berate your self for having that 10-22. It's a cracker of a lens. You may not have found the things to do that will make you want to pull it out of the bag yet, but .......... Do a CiC or Google search on ultra wide-angle photography and I'm sure you'll get a lot of ideas of what you could use it for.

Hi Ken

I can relate to all of this - yup, all of it! Just keep going!

Ken

Personally I would have either shot or cropped in such a way that you only see the fruit - no background - If you do not have off camera flash you can try light painting the fruit. Pitch black room 15-20 second exposure at F8 and then use a flash light to 'paint' the fruit during the exposure. Put a hankerchief over the flash to reduce glare but most important keep the light moving.

You know, I wrote my above comment before the coffee had kicked in and, on further thought, I should say what I really mean, instead of just giving a blanket agreement. I know what you mean about wanting those lenses that you can try more out with but the kit lenses really can push a person to grow in their skills while they wait. I had to wait an agonizing three months for my macro lens. (It sounds like such a short time, now, but it really, really felt like forever.) Now, I'm wishing for a wide angle and, definitely, for a zoom of better quality. I should just be thankful for what I have... Also, it's easier said than done to come up with "meaning" in a photo and I'm feeling pressure to live up to my new expectations for myself. I love a blue background but, OOPS - I lied! A healthy salad is a favorite food. Oh, and I suspect that my synapses aren't functioning quite right, these days - once something starts growing in this winter ravaged world, I'm sure things will move again.

btw, I was wondering about the oranges.... you spelled it "depots" not "despots". it doesn't matter, anyway. I grew up in California and having overdosed, try to block them from my thoughts.

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Hi Katy N.
    Thank you for the encouragement. I will get the lenses, eventually. Probably head for telescopic first. Put the macro on hold. With the sort of beasties we get around here, it is not always prudent to get too close to a subject. One could get eaten. Or suffer a very nasty bite! Had a friend over last night who, upon seeing my lighting problems with the mandarins, tried to seduce me... down the path of a speed lite 430EX II and a flippet. Sounds disgusting and, even worse, horridly expensive. Sometimes I think I should have taken up knitting as a hobby. Far cheaper, as we grow our own wool and my good wife spins. (She especially goes into quite a spin when I mumble about needing accessory upgrades! )
    And as for salads as sustinence? Hmm two things here, if I may. Firstly, it has been said that if God had wanted us to live on lettuce He would have given us long ears and white fluffy tails. And secondly, in His unabounding love for us He gave us the golden arches of Macca's. So....
    cheers
    K

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Hi Donald
    Very sound and practical advice from you. As one would expect. Thank you. I think it was a simple case of me trying to walk before I could crawl. No doubt I will eventually 'catch up' to the potential of this piece of technology.
    K

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Hi Steve
    Thanks for great tips. Will have a go at it. A friend last night suggested I invest in a speedlite and a flippit ( sic spelling?). So, maybe...have to talk to my financial controller. Wives have a tendency to be frugal and a bit parsimonious in these matters.
    K

Quote Originally Posted by ucci View Post
    With the sort of beasties we get around here, it is not always prudent to get too close to a subject. One could get eaten. Or suffer a very nasty bite!
    My goodness! It sounds like either you have very large bugs, Down Under, or dragons.

Sometimes I think I should have taken up knitting as a hobby. Far cheaper, as we grow our own wool and my good wife spins. (She especially goes into quite a spin when I mumble about needing accessory upgrades! )
    Are the winters long enough, where you are, to take up knitting? and, You talk to your wife about these upgrades? Well! I can't advise you how to convince your wife to fork out what you need for a lens - sorry - it would be breaking the woman's code.

Yup! I'm tired and punchy (the opposite, yet, the same as Jiro's blood being 15% caffeine) and I'm just going to stop right there and not talk about self portraits with long ears and fluffy tails - I'll only get myself into trouble. Sorry about the vapid ramble.

edit: Do you really need a speedlite? Won't some soft, diffused sunlight work for now?
    Last edited by Katy Noelle; 10th April 2011 at 03:49 AM.

Real Name
    Cheri

Have you thought about putting the oranges in a completely black background and working with your apeture and shutter to make it seem like the oranges are floating in air? That would really make the colour pop. I have included a picture that I worked with to get just the right exposure, I used my flash as well. The picture was taken in broad daylight.

Notice how the yellow of the sunflower and the green of the stem pops.

Photo information

Nikon D50
    Exposure time 1/500 second
    F number 22
    Max apeture f/3.6 (3.70)
    Flash was used.
    Fruit pile

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Hi Othermans
    Thanks for taking time to comment with an interesting concept. I see exactly what you mean from your post. At this point I guess I am a bit conservative in these matters. It is surely worth investigating. Thank you for the advice.
    K

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Had a go at encapsulating all the tips given re lighting and 'floating' concept with tight crop against black ( navy blue actually) background. Tried all sorts of camera settings etc. Also had to improvise. Borrowed some of my dear wife's very expensive dress making material for back drop, under threat of severe retribution if returned damaged or dirtied by my endeavours! Used two small hand held LED torches at various angles and heights. Picked these two files for C&C please. Just to see if I am heading in the right direction.
    With thanks
    K

Fruit pile

Fruit pile

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Hi Katy
    Yes I believe you have hit the head on the nail. At the moment my need for a speedlite falls into the category of ' Toys for the boys." Diffuse sunlight would serve my needs equally well, if not better. And my wife is a gem in that if I want it, then I can jolly well have it. She is far too generous towards my whims. I reckon I would be the oldest 'toy boy' in the world and the most over indulged!
    cheers
    K