Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Portrait overexposed??

Real Name
    Kenny

Portrait overexposed??

Hi
    I think this is my first thread here after reading for a few months.
    I did my 3rd model shoot a few weeks ago, and was reasonably pleased with the results, but I wonder how I could improve on the lighting and processing.

This was taken with the flash on the camera, and an umbrella reflecting the sunlight coming from behind the pillar.
    Camera: 450D with kit lens
    Tv mode with shutter at 1/20 and F4.5, ISO 100.

Portrait overexposed??

Rosie_NTU017 by ImagesByKenny, on Flickr

Any other critique would be welcome. Thanks! (As well as for any other photos on my flickr)
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 8th April 2011 at 03:11 AM. Reason: Heading is incorrect...But cannot be edited now.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Portrait overexposed??

Hello there. Welcome to CiC. You don't tell us your proper name, which we tend to go with on here - makes things more friendly.

You can edit your profile and insert it under 'Real Name'. I hope you enjoy being part of CiC.

As for your image, I'll let people who know more about portraiture than I do come in with comments and suggestions. But I am just starting to learn about flash and the one message I think I've learned so far is that the worst place to put the flash is on the camera. All the advice is to get it off the camera either via the use of cords or electronic/radio triggers.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

The size of the image is too small to comment if it is really overexposed. Normally, when we say an image is overexposed, the brightest area inside the frame loses any kind of detail or texture in it. In this case, the brightest area seems to be the right side of her upper chest. Looking at it I would suspect that it was indeed overexposed. Another interesting aspect of the image is that the natural light seems to come from the right side of the girl and yet the brighter side of the brick wall is on the left. I am not a portrait photographer too, but I would love to recommend an off-center positioning of the girl for a good composition.

Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Hello there. Welcome to CiC. You don't tell us your proper name, which we tend to go with on here - makes things more friendly.

You can edit your profile and insert it under 'Real Name'. I hope you enjoy being part of CiC.

As for your image, I'll let people who know more about portraiture than I do come in with comments and suggestions. But I am just starting to learn about flash and the one message I think I've learned so far is that the worst place to put the flash is on the camera. All the advice is to get it off the camera either via the use of cords or electronic/radio triggers.
    Hi, thanks, I'll go and change that.
    Sure, I try keep the flash off camera if I can. Just in this particular situation, I thought it would be best to use the light stand to reflect the sunlight. In retrospect, I probably could have handheld the flash on the other side for more even lighting.

Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    The size of the image is too small to comment if it is really overexposed. Normally, when we say an image is overexposed, the brightest area inside the frame loses any kind of detail or texture in it. In this case, the brightest area seems to be the right side of her upper chest. Looking at it I would suspect that it was indeed overexposed. Another interesting aspect of the image is that the natural light seems to come from the right side of the girl and yet the brighter side of the brick wall is on the left. I am not a portrait photographer too, but I would love to recommend an off-center positioning of the girl for a good composition.
    Thanks!
    I used the standard Flickr link sizes, and chose the first one under 700 (Maybe I confused forums, is 700 maximum upload size here?)
    Interesting, I didn't pick up on the strangeness of left wall being brighter. It must have been the angle of the umbrella.
    Do you think off-center would be better than just cropping it tighter?

Any advice for further photoshopping?

Real Name
    Paul

The face is clearly not over exposed. I'm surprised that you used flash as I don't see the catchlights in her eyes that I would expect. Overall, there is something a little unnatural about her eyes. I'd also be interested in seeing the EXIF data which has been removed from the image file.

Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by Chesil View Post
    The face is clearly not over exposed. I'm surprised that you used flash as I don't see the catchlights in her eyes that I would expect. Overall, there is something a little unnatural about her eyes. I'd also be interested in seeing the EXIF data which has been removed from the image file.
    That's a new term for me. What do you mean by catchlights?
    EXIF removed?? Now I am confused. I thought the only way EXIF gets removed, is if you remove it manually in PS...which I didn't do.. Here is the complete EXIF data set:
    File Name Rosie_NTU017.JPG
    Camera Model Canon EOS 450D
    Firmware Firmware Version 1.1.0
    Shooting Date/Time 2011/03/20 03:50:14 PM
    Owner's Name
    Shooting Mode Aperture-Priority AE
    Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/20
    Av( Aperture Value ) 4.5
    Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
    Exposure Compensation 0
    ISO Speed 100
    Lens EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
    Focal Length 36.0mm
    Image Size 3277x2820
    Image Quality Fine
    Flash On
    Flash Type Manual Flash
    Flash Exposure Compensation 0
    Shutter curtain sync 1st-curtain sync
    White Balance Mode Custom
    AF Mode One-Shot AF
    Picture Style Standard
    Sharpness 3
    Contrast 0
    Saturation 0
    Color tone 0
    Color Space sRGB v1.31 (Canon)
    Long exposure noise reduction 0:Off
    High ISO speed noise reduction 1:On
    Highlight tone priority 0isable
    File Size 5753KB
    Drive Mode Single shooting
    Camera Body No. 1980531643
    Comment

I remember seeing somewhere that Flickr shows EXIF data, but I cannot figure out where to find it!