Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Something New for me

Real Name
    Wendy

Something New for me

C&C appreciated, I'm not used to working with dark tones and backgrounds but I do like the look almost as much as white or pastel on white. It's a new process for me, so feel free to point out artefacts or other issues that I always have so much trouble spotting until someone points them out , I'd like to work on more of this type so now is the time to get the bugs out.

Something New for me

Thanks
    Wendy

Real Name
    Brian

Re: Something New for me

Nice clarity though a little dark for my taste. What feeling are you going for here?

Real Name
    Chris

I think at this point (and I am doing a lot of the same thing), I'd say it needs more sharpening.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Agreeing with Brian and Chris on certain points, when I looked at this flower shot, Wendy, it looks a bit flat for me. What I meant is that the contrast and the exposure latitude seems to be compressed on a limited spread. My eyes seems to be coming back to that one brighter petal on the front so if I will edit this shot I would use this single petal as my main element. I would probably add some sharpening as Chris said, and make it brighter than the rest of the flower as Brian commented that it's a bit dark. Something like this:

Something New for me

This is just an idea or a suggestion. On a personal note, I am really looking for something to make the flower hold itself strong against the dark background and I found none so I made one by concentrating on that one petal. I hope this helps though I am not so sure if I am helping.

Real Name
    Elise

I thought the original was great but I do like Jiro's edit, which adds to the drama.

I love the colour Wendy. Now I am on familiar ground here. At the weekend I was shooting daffodils using a Zuiko 50mm. In almost every shot I had the DoF too narrow and caused the near most petal to be out of focus. That is what has happened here and because of that trying to sharpen the rest of the image only accentuates the problem. I could have kicked myself since it is not long back that I was banging on about the importance of depth composition. The problem is that it is rather like patting your head and rubbing your tummy at the same time - trying to get the 2D composition right whilst also trying to guage the effect of the aperture setting, focal length and distance from subject. I find that quite often my first allegence is automatically to the 2D composition - but actually when shooting close the depth composition is the all overpowering factor since our viewers brains will start to rebel if the focus depth is unexpected. Its a bit like when put my my distance specs on by mistake when trying to rewire a plug eventually my brain makes sense of it but it is not a particulary pleasing feeling

Beautiful direction you're heading in, Wendy!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I think folks seem to have covered most of the bases in their comments above.

I think the most important thing is that you have a clear vision of where it is you want end up on this road. Now, it may well be that things are still a bit misty and the final vision hasn't swung into view yet, but if you are starting to form ideas about what it is you're wanting to do, then follow your nose and see where it takes you.

Real Name
    Wendy

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Lots of good points to keep in mind.

Jiro, I love the edit, I think that is as good as it will get with this shot, and I see your point about having something to draw the eye. I think you have accomplished that nicely.

Steve, You are right (as usual) the blurry OOF front petals are bothering me too. Thought with the dramatic colours I might get away with it, but there is no meaning or purpose to the out of focus bits, so it just won't work. I've been having the same issues with a patch of wild crocus' in the back yard. I see the shot in my mind but I can't get the focus point in the right spot. It's harder than I imagined, but very important. The analogy with the glasses is a good one, I have a great appreciation now for how difficult it is for close up shooters to get that focus in the right spot, and also a greater understanding of why some shots that I would or should like make me a bit dizzy.

Not sure where I am going with these. Right now I'm just trying to get the basics right. I think I have been influenced by Raylee with her dark moody florals that I like so much. I'd like to work out processing and technical issues and then hopefully be able to get some meaning or mood into the shots after that. That's the plan anyway.

Thanks again everyone, all good points and all feedback helps. With me it sometimes takes awhile, but the feedback is always there in the back of my mind and eventually things start to work out.

Wendy