Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Another, nother, nother lens question: 70mm macro with 2x tele extender?

Real Name
    Chris

Another, nother, nother lens question: 70mm macro with 2x tele extender?

If I get a 70mm macro, can I use a 2x tele extender with it and essentially have the use of a 140mm without significant light loss or lens vingetting?

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Another, nother, nother lens question

Quote Originally Posted by MiniChris View Post
    If I get a 70mm macro, can I use a 2x tele extender with it and essentially have the use of a 140mm without significant light loss or lens vingetting?
    If you're a Canon shooter, no. The Teleconverters are only compatible with certain lenses.

Real Name
    Chris

I are a Nikon guy.

Saint Marie De Kent, New Brunswick, Canada
    Real Name
    Chris Martin

I Shoot Nikon as well, and have a Tamron 90mm prime macro 2.8 and use a 2x converter with it and it works well together. Although I have only used the converter outside in daylight I haven't noticed any light loss, you may find you may need to open up a stop or two. I have never noticed any vingetting .

Real Name
    Ben

Re: Another, nother, nother lens question: 70mm macro with 2x tele extender?

A 2X converter automatically loses 2 stops. If your 70mm is an f/2.8 you end up with f/5.6. And this also puts you near the limit for AF operation. You also lose more light if you use the macro feature at significant magnification. Make sure the converter plays well with the lens before buying.