Real Name
    Mike Bareham

Starburst

Starburst

D2Xs, Sigma 150 f2.8

Real Name
    Cheri

Re: Starburst

Hello Mike, your picture is great I like the clarity of the one flower and the flowers in the background do look like star bursts. I do have a stigmatism and it takes me a moment to focus on the the flower that is in focus, but that is just me. Love the colours.

Cheri

Wow this is an amazing photo. The flowers really look like they are exploding in the background, and i really like the way that the single flower just pops right out at you.

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

Thanks for your kind comments.

Real Name
    Bill S

Mike,

If you can get to this again, what do you think about focusing on one of the fully opened flowers instead of the partially open one? I think it might be interesting to see what one of the open flowers looks like and then have additional exampled in the blurred background.

Just a thought.

Still a fantastic photo!

- Bill

Real Name
    Brian

Wow, great photo.
    The flowers are so perfectly spaced. I thought at first I was looking at some sort of graphic. Very cool.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Mike

Just home after a couple of days away.

A beauty. Compositionally, it just couldn't get any better.

Real Name
    Shane Kupono Costa

I love the colors! That green is awesome with the purple. I like the shallow depth of field too. The shape of the petals are good, looks like a bomb.

Is this the first botanical shot that I've seen from you?

Mike, I've come back and looked at this several times and have a thought that I thought that I might think out loud and see what you think. The starbursts seem to have a lot of dynamism and energy to them but because they're lined up with the vertical lines, it seems to cut the energy a little. i.e. the vertical lines flow easily from one flower to the next. I wish.... I wish that the photo was rotated a bit so that it gave more of the typical star shape to it - meaning, the negative space between the bottom petals would be a triangle. Then, things - the flowers and the lines of their petals - wouldn't be so lined up and static and symmetrical but more "chaotic" - adding to the exploding energy of the flowers. I don't even know if that's possible. Also, I do wish that the purple was glowing a little bit more - but that's just my color bent. What do you think?

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Noelle View Post
    Is this the first botanical shot that I've seen from you?
    To be honest I can't remember what I've posted before Katy.
    Your suggested improvements are valid but I not sure they are achievable from the rubbish photo I started with (see below). I just started playing around for want of something to do and came up with the first effort, which I thought I'd post, having not been very active for a while. Had I taken some time and effort at the time of shooting, a better photo may have resulted.
    Starburst

Thanks, Mike, for responding. I had, actually, had the thought that it is, truthfully, very nice to see you post again.

Well, for starting with a "rubbish photo", you came up with something that's pretty catching. I think that the best part of taking the time to comment - even just to think about it - comes down to me thinking through things and learning; so, I appreciate your response.

and, may I drop in your ear.... please, keep posting.