Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: How Can I Edit This?

Real Name
    Brian

How Can I Edit This?

I recently joined a local photo club. They have a monthly photo contest. This month's contest is "Something Yellow". I was thinking about submitting this photo, but it needs some work. I've only ever fiddled with portraits, so this is something I need help with. Is this something that would make a good submission? Perhaps it's only interesting to me knowing I took this on top of mountain when everything was covered with morning dew? I know I would like to reduce the highlights in the background. What is a good way to go about doing that? Burn/dodge? I think the image is a little underexposed, so I would probably start by adding some exposure (EV in DPP). Thoughts and recommendations appreciated.

Thanks

How Can I Edit This?

Real Name
    Chris

Re: How Can I Edit This?

My first thought says: "what's all that yellow?" If this is indeed a yellow flower, then go back, reshoot with a much darker background and a far more subtle fore light and increase your DoF just a tad. I'd also crop a bit closer to the left to get rid of all that conflicting green. Check your focus, too. Boy, I didn't say much positive...I do like the angle of the flower being counterbalanced by the opposing leaf though that leaf really needs to be darker.

Real Name
    John

You almost never have to explain why you took a photograph of a flower and if it is necessary express it somehow in the title of the image. I think your crop at bottom was a little too abrupt, we should see more of the lower petal. The dew on the flower should be a bit more sharp also.

Personally, I would like to see the stem more upright, and 'natural looking'. I find that I am twisting my head until my neck hurts when I look at this photo.

Otherwise, I agree with Chris.

And the tip of the flower appears to be a fraction on the over exposed side.

There are several methods to darken the background. In this case, I would probably create a duplicate layer and adjust that to give a darker result then add a mask and use a soft edged low opacity brush to edit the mask. In this case, I suspect that I would probably use a Hide All Mask and use a 'white' brush to gradually reveal the darker image.

But don't get disheartened Brian, there is a lot in this image which does look good, however, for a competition it needs to be perfect.

Real Name
    Brian

Thanks for the feedback. As I said this is the photo with no editing. I will try an edit soon and post the results.
    I took the photo in this angle because I thought it emphasized the yellow in the flower best. I haven't done any sharpening, so yes it needs some!

Real Name
    Brian

Is this version any better for 'something yellow'?

How Can I Edit This?

That is basically a more interesting shot, Brian, but you have a lot of confused space to the left of the flower.

I would crop away most of that, fairly close to the left end of the tulip flower head and blur what remains including the top right corner. You may have to change the width to height ratio but i think it will still look OK.

Hi,
    I saw You insisted about.So,lasso tool then free transform,replace colour and rotate left.But,I think, You must insist to look for more different images.
    How Can I Edit This? (worked for You in 15min with PSE)

Real Name
    Brian

Thanks for the feedback. At this point I am looking for another 'something yellow'.