Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opening Day....panning practice

Real Name
    Paul

Opening Day....panning practice

I learned quite a bit today, although feel I did fairly well for the second time ever trying to pan. Here are a few for your perusal and C&C. Thanks for looking.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Opening Day....panning practice

Hi Paul,

I would say you have got the hang of it

I'd feel pleased too, well done.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    I would say you have got the hang of it. I'd feel pleased too, well done.
    I agree. An excellent job. What shutter speed(s) were you using?

Real Name
    Rob

Excellent shots! I love how these came out. The only critique I have is the crop on the last shot is a little tight, but everything else looks great. I love motorsport photography - and these are what it's all about!

Real Name
    Paul

Thanks guys.
    Donald, that is one of the things I wish I had played with a little more. I was trying to keep the blurr in the wheels and chain and keep the rest of the bike and rider sharp. I probably could have raised the shutter a bit as I was handholding a pretty much wide open 75-300 zoom at 160 shutter speed.
    Rob, that last one is a little tight. He got a little closer a bit closer a bit quiker than I thought. Not much I could do after that as this was in camera with no cropping.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Awesome work, Paul. You did well on these shots. Increasing your shutter speed can give you tack sharper images next time. From a fellow biker.

Real Name
    Paul

Thanks Jiro, at what point will I stop the wheels? That is what I was trying to avoid.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by jeeperman View Post
    Thanks Jiro, at what point will I stop the wheels? That is what I was trying to avoid.
    I think you need to be at least 1/500 on your shutter speed to get stationary spokes. If you can position yourself on the corner of the chicanes that's where they slow down and so you get some mileage taking good shots. Hope to see some more, Paul!

Real Name
    Bill S

Paul,

I might be wrong here, but for me, I feel that for #2 and #3, there is too much pavement in the shot. I feel cropping off a bit of the pavement would bring the biker down so that they rested on one of the power points at the convergence of the thirds. I think it might also add to the feeling of motion with the biker having that anticipation of movement through the frame on a diagonal from bottom right to top left instead of just a straight right to left line.

Great work on the panning. I tried this last year at out local Vintage Grand Prix, but was not as successful as I had wished. Hopefully this year will work out better!

- Bill

Real Name
    Paul

Thanks Jiro, the staitionary spokes is what I am avoiding, I like the movement. Although that does mean I can get up around 350 give or take and be a bit sharper and still have my movement.

Thanks Bill, I will play with the cropping a bit.

Real Name

Thanks Jiro, the staitionary spokes is what I am avoiding, I like the movement. Although that does mean I can get up around 350 give or take and be a bit sharper and still have my movement.

Thanks Bill, I will play with the cropping a bit.
    I'm sorry. I must have misunderstood your post.

Real Name
    Paul

No worries Jiro, I still got the needed guide line. So what do you ride? Well off to work for me.

Real Name

No worries Jiro, I still got the needed guide line. So what do you ride? Well off to work for me.
    I used to ride the Japanese pocket rocket's Suzuki GSXR250R. Sold it a long time ago.

Real Name
    Rob

Thanks guys.
    Donald, that is one of the things I wish I had played with a little more. I was trying to keep the blurr in the wheels and chain and keep the rest of the bike and rider sharp. I probably could have raised the shutter a bit as I was handholding a pretty much wide open 75-300 zoom at 160 shutter speed.
    Rob, that last one is a little tight. He got a little closer a bit closer a bit quiker than I thought. Not much I could do after that as this was in camera with no cropping.
    I figured that was what got you. I've run into similar problems photographing drift days locally.

I second what Jiro has to say. You probably could get to 1/400 on your shutter speed and not have the wheels get stuck, but it has a lot to do with how fast they are taking the turns too. While not exactly the same situation, I've had to stay at around 1/300 something to keep the wheels spinning for the drift days. A lot of second gear stuff, so maybe 40 mph (on the wheels).

Also, I find that wide open on that lens may not be the best choice. Obviously, it depends on how far you are from your subject, lighting conditions, etc., but I've had issues where the vehicle is not as sharp as it should be. I was probably closer than you were to your turn and my subjects are a little larger, but it may still help you. After all, most of the blur should be coming from your shutter, not the DOF.

Pictures help when showing your own mistakes.

Looking at your pics again, man I love that first one.

Real Name
    Paul

Jiro, those are fun little bikes. They can be some work when riding a track like ours here, very hilly....but I have seen some guys run right with the 600s until the straights that is. Right now I am only allowed in the spectator areas unless I am working a corner, but if working I can't shoot. A friend of mine is one of the regular track photogs... his sticker is on half the bikes out there....DbPHOTOGRAPHY.

Looks like a good time Rob. I will get some good ops this summer with Auto Cross type racing. My mother {yes my mother....grandmother of more than 15} races Corvettes. Should be a good time. Many of my friends race bikes so between the two I should have a lot of practice.

Real Name

...Jiro, those are fun little bikes. They can be some work when riding a track like ours here, very hilly....but I have seen some guys run right with the 600s until the straights that is.
    Yes, Siree! Even though they are 4-cylinder 250cc's the pistons are so small that you really have to let them stay above 7500 RPM to get the torque that you need for some speed and attack. This little beasts can rev up to 20,000 RPM on the tach if you want to really spin them crazy. LOL! It was really a fun bike specially if I'm beside the 400 cc bikes waiting for the stop light to turn green. Good luck on your next bike photo ops, Paul.

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

Great shots, Paul.

Real Name
    Steve

Nice shots paul. Judging by the number of responses to this thread, a motorsports thread might be a good idea for everyone to share their efforts.

I am out at the weekend to take some shots of a mate who races Toyota MR2's. He is at Silverstone this weekend which is nearby so I am keeping my fingers crossed for good weather.

I had some practice at the WRC in Wales last year which was brilliant if anyone has never been. Compared to most other motorsport you can get so close to the action it is incredible. A lot of walking though

Cheers
    Steve

Real Name
    Paul

Thanks Sahil and Steve. Good luck on the weather Steve. Look forward to seeing so shots.

Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

I'd say you done good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast